Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thoughts and prayers go to the family of this young man.

1 Killed In I-93 Overnight Crash
Cause Of Accident Under Investigation

BOSTON -- A deadly crash on Interstate 93 south early Friday in Milton claimed the life of a Brookline teenager.

A 19-year-old man lost his life around midnight after his car rolled over and hit a tree off the highway between the exit 3(Ponkapoag Trail) ramps in Milton. Police identified him as Jacob Kliman-Trimble of Brookline, Mass.

State Police said that the 19-year-old was traveling on Route 93 south in a 2005 Pontiac GTO when he lost control of the vehicle, causing it to travel off the right side of the roadway, roll over and crash into the tree line.

A 17-year-old boy in the car was taken to Boson Medical Center and was expected to survive. His name was not being released because of his age.

State Police believe speed was a factor in the crash.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I sold two of these cars to 17 year olds. I literally took them to the track and taught them how and WHEN to drive the car fast.

Reading this scares me about them. I will be e-mailing this to him to remind him of the consequences.

Very sad story.

·
Registered
194 Posts
People just need to repect the power that these cars have, because if you don't, this is the kind of thing that happens. My GTO is parked for the winter because the roads up here S U C K during the winter, all of the salt, sand, and potholes from the damn plows.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why would anyone let their 19 year old drive a GTO? I've been driving various fast cars for 20 years and there is no way I'd let one of my kids drive my Goat without me in the car. I know what I would have done at 19, I just got lucky and am still on this earth.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Really the passenger compartment held up pretty well considering the impact. The front of the car is gone but that is a crumple zone, and it did its job dissipating the force, and I'll bet anything he didn't have his seatbelt on, if he did he would be on here telling us just how it happened!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you look at the picture closer. It is the back end of the car that is gone. I was looking at my car out of my window comparing it to the pic. That window you see is the back window.

·
Registered
194 Posts
LS2 - Light SpeedX2 said:
If you look at the picture closer. It is the back end of the car that is gone. I was looking at my car out of my window comparing it to the pic. That window you see is the back window.
I blew up the pic, it's def the front, you can tell from the seat, the airbag, and you can see the side of the hood scoop.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Really feel for the family of the young man. To lose a child at any age is horrible but a teen is awful.

I drive I-93 north and south each day for work and it is 4 lanes that are like a raceway somedays. There is a State Police presents daily but that's alot of road to cover.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before you go blaming the parents, the GUY was 19. He can buy whatever car he wants to buy. His parents might not like it but its a free country. When I was 19 I really wanted to get a 3000GT (aka GTO coincedently) but I was po'. Point is he was 19 not 16. And yeah only retards don't wear seatbelts. Especially if you are going to do something like floor it down 93 (something i've done many many times in my 8, as I live .2 miles from the highway.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm 19.

I've been driving a 2005 Pontiac GTO since I purchased it in early summer 2005. As soon as I bought it, I knew using the full four hundred horses required discipline. Since then, I've never driven it more than slightly out of its capabilities / my skill level on public roads. I've taken it to performance driving schools on more than one occasion, where I've taken the car to it's limits and then some. I'm very much in tune with my car and if I choose to exceed posted speed limits, you better believe I'm as much aware of my car and its surroundings as I am on a road course. I drive it completely differently when I switch out my track neovas for the stock tires. I don't drive like a jackass.

There's a difference between having fun by driving fast when it's appropriate and driving recklessly, dangerously, and stupidly. Don't tell me young people are the only ones capable of the latter. I've watched middle aged men in corvettes burn out dangerously through a crowded intersection, and then proceed to cut through a double yellow into opposing traffic to pass traffic. Don't tell me you always resist the urge floor your GTO on that deserted stretch of highway. Still, youngsters are more susceptible to most of these factors and cars with the ability to travel fast don't help. I live in a college town, and the majority of jackasses on the road tend to be compensating young males in huge "racing/off-road trucks" that get a kick out of scaring other motorists by driving excessively fast in the wrong situations. Thank god the GTO is out of their price range. So why don't I drive like that? I think maturity is a bigger factor in all this than physical age. I value my life more than I value immature pleasure derived from dangerously passing Mustangs on public freeways just to show them I'm a "badass" with a "badass ride." I save my real on the limit driving for the track, and I enjoy it sooooo much more than anything I would ever want to do on public roads.

That said, I agree with the majority of what's been said so far about this tragedy. Inexperience, lack of paying attention, and driving recklessly / out of your skill level / out your car's capabilities seem to be the biggest dangers in driving any car.

I wish I could have sat down and chatted with this kid before the fact... and with every fellow young person that hasn't grasped the seriousness of making really bad decisions like driving recklessly. Not a huge suprise I'm majoring in psychology so I can counsel young'ns.

Still, there's only so much you can do.

My 2 cents. :seeya:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.