Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
HADAWS6 said:
hey big mike how can i find out what number my car was on the assembly line when it was finished being built :confused thanks :cheers
It is the last 6 digits of the vin, I'm having trouble finding the starting number and I don't know if they continued the sequence from 04 through 06.

Also, You can check the data plate which can be found under the hood on the radiator support in the driver's side front corner, it will include the build date.

·
Registered
182 Posts
05GTO said:
It is the last 6 digits of the vin, I'm having trouble finding the starting number and I don't know if they continued the sequence from 04 through 06.

Also, You can check the data plate which can be found under the hood on the radiator support in the driver's side front corner, it will include the build date.

If that's the case.....there were at least 178,000 05 GTO's built?..... Actually according to the last 6 digits of my VIN my number would be 381169.....:confused

Edit: You are showing an '04 VIN

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
2005GTOLS2 said:
If that's the case.....there were at least 178,000 05 GTO's built?..... Actually according to the last 6 digits of my VIN my number would be 381169.....:confused

Edit: You are showing an '04 VIN
Like I said, I don't know the starting point of the numbering and I don't know if the numbering sequence was used on the Monaro's sold down under, G.B. and S.A.

G

·
1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.