Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a follow up to my purchase. The 1157 XPD80A light bulbs are a bit longer than a regular 1157 bulb. They DO fit the turn/parking lights on the 67 GTO..they are also MUCH brighter! I spoke to the guys at DIODE DYNAMICS...nice bunch....:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Good to know they fit, I was thinking about going with these for the tail lights on my '67.

I went with Ultra Bright cool whites for the GI in my dash, they have a slight blue tint that looks good in the instruments.
Go with warm whites if you want a more factory look.
Nice and bright and dimmable without strobing.
The heater/A/C controls didn't even light up with the stock incandescent bulbs now I can see them clearly.
I used blue condoms in my S/W gauges because they are way too bright in that application.

·
Supporting Vendor
234 Posts
Our 1156 and 1157 bulbs should fit the classic GTO's perfectly. We just haven't had one in our studio for comparison photos and installation videos yet. (Not an easy car to find here locally!)

Looking forward to seeing some comparison photos if you've taken any

Thank you for your support

Nick C.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Can you post the numbers for a complete set for the taillights and parking lights for the '67?
Your site doesn't list them for the older goats just stuff for the newer ones.
I can take some before and after pics once I get them.

·
Supporting Vendor
234 Posts
I may have to wait until I win the lottery those LEDs are pricey!
We have a variety of bulb models available depending on how bright you want them to be. They utilize high-end, genuine components and are priced similar to other market options.

We also measure all of our products to ensure you won't be mislead by false lumen claims, and we back everything with a 3-year limited warranty.

They are more expensive than low quality eBay and Amazon options for a reason:

Feel free to give us a call if you need more information about any of our lighting products: (314) 205-3033

Nick C.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
I have been doing LED conversions on Pinball games for a few years now and am familiar with cheap LEDs that ghost or flat out don't work and end up in the trash.
It runs around 500 bucks to do a complete WPC games with high quality LEDs the cheapos are a total waste of time and money.
I will just have to wait a bit before ordering, I have another Ames order on the way I haven't told the wife about.
;)

·
Supporting Vendor
234 Posts
I have been doing LED conversions on Pinball games for a few years now and am familiar with cheap LEDs that ghost or flat out don't work and end up in the trash.
It runs around 500 bucks to do a complete WPC games with high quality LEDs the cheapos are a total waste of time and money.
I will just have to wait a bit before ordering, I have another Ames order on the way I haven't told the wife about.
;)
Nice! I've considered installing some LEDs in my William's Slugfest, but I've kept it original. That's not a bad idea at all

Greatest pitch and bat pinball machine ever made IMO lol.

Nick C.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Slugfest is the most desirable of all the [email protected] games and LEDs will take the load off your driver board and GI connectors.
There are jumper mods that should be done on the driver but they are not needed if you convert to LEDs.
You will want to get the batteries off the CPU by converting to an off board battery holder, when they leak they will ruin the board and it is made of unobtainium.
They should be replaced once a year so check it for corrosion.
Battery holders are cheap, I put them in a plastic bag and don't worry about the batteries if they leak I just cut the wires, toss the whole holder and solder in another one.

·
Supporting Vendor
234 Posts
Slugfest is the most desirable of all the [email protected] games and LEDs will take the load off your driver board and GI connectors.
There are jumper mods that should be done on the driver but they are not needed if you convert to LEDs.
You will want to get the batteries off the CPU by converting to an off board battery holder, when they leak they will ruin the board and it is made of unobtainium.
They should be replaced once a year so check it for corrosion.
Battery holders are cheap, I put them in a plastic bag and don't worry about the batteries if they leak I just cut the wires, toss the whole holder and solder in another one.
Thanks for the tips!

It's currently sitting at my parent's house in their finished basement. I play it at least once every time I go home to visit.

If you ever have the chance to buy one, I strongly recommend it! It was a Christmas gift many years back from my parents and arguably one of my most prized possessions (from a sentimental stand point).

Nick C.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
I have shopped a few of them over the years and you can get cab decals for it to make it team specific but it is worth more if kept in original condition.
They are a lot like these old cars, very hard to find game specific parts for them.
Bay Area Amusements does make and carry some repro stuff.

·
Supporting Vendor
234 Posts
We have a few replacement decals (all original), and I think we will keep it as original as possible, but yeah...it's really hard to find original equipment on them.

Nick C.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I've been considering upgrading my rear lights (brake, turn signals, reverse) on my '70 GTO. Maybe even front parking lights and turn signals...... 1157/1156(I think 1156). I get conflicting opinions. All are plug and play but for turn signals I need a special flasher? Some say yes some say no

What's the correct answer on this?

·
Supporting Vendor
234 Posts
I've been considering upgrading my rear lights (brake, turn signals, reverse) on my '70 GTO. Maybe even front parking lights and turn signals...... 1157/1156(I think 1156). I get conflicting opinions. All are plug and play but for turn signals I need a special flasher? Some say yes some say no

What's the correct answer on this?
The bulbs themselves are a direct replacement to your factory incandescent bulbs, but you will need to add resistance to the circuit to prevent hyperflash.

There may also be LED-compatible flashers for your GTO as well if you aren't comfortable splicing in resistors onto the factory wiring.

Nick C.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just ordered a set of Diode Dynamics LEDS for my front parking turn signal lights...got the 1157 replacement called xd80. Amber...

Redoing those old housings and wiring...saw Eric had mentioned these...

Bright lights matter...nobody can see you with dim bulbs....

Sure they will work great!:thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
234 Posts
Just ordered a set of Diode Dynamics LEDS for my front parking turn signal lights...got the 1157 replacement called xd80. Amber...

Redoing those old housings and wiring...saw Eric had mentioned these...

Bright lights matter...nobody can see you with dim bulbs....

Sure they will work great!:thumbsup:
They are substantially brighter than the factory incandescent bulbs

Looking forward to seeing your comparison photos!

Nick C.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
The bulbs themselves are a direct replacement to your factory incandescent bulbs, but you will need to add resistance to the circuit to prevent hyperflash.

There may also be LED-compatible flashers for your GTO as well if you aren't comfortable splicing in resistors onto the factory wiring.

Nick C.
Ok.... You don't carry the flashers?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts