Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I do is drive around town in my GTO and I get a whole 11MPG. Something sounds weird about that to me. I drive very lightly too. I normally shift around 2200rpms. What are your shift points and gas mileage? Also, just today, I went around town racing a modded bug and my gas mileage went up to 13mpg. That is after some full throttle blast. Anyone else having these weird problems?

·
Registered
498 Posts
First of all, congrats on a true kick-a$$ car. Secondly, its common for the LS2 to better in MPG as it breaks in. I noticed a couple of MPG difference somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 miles. (Although I never averaged 11mpg!! Shift man, shift!)

Everyone has different ideas of how and how long to "break in" the engine on a new car. Regardless, you'll notice an improvement sooner or later.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
IFryRice said:
All I do is drive around town in my GTO and I get a whole 11MPG. Something sounds weird about that to me. I drive very lightly too. I normally shift around 2200rpms. What are your shift points and gas mileage? Also, just today, I went around town racing a modded bug and my gas mileage went up to 13mpg. That is after some full throttle blast. Anyone else having these weird problems?
Try calculating your mpg the old fashion way, with a calculator. Go fill the tank up..... log the beginning miles at fill up. Wait till the fuel is down a 1/4 to 1/2 tank. Go back and fill the tank up again and divide the miles driven into the gallons consumed. You cannot always go by the computer display on your dash. Most of the time the dash computer is right on, but do an overall gas used calculation using the method described.

If you are only getting 11 mpg, something's wrong.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You are shifting way too early. Studies have been done showing how accelerating harder then cruising in a higher gear is better for MPG. Set your computer to show instant MPG and you will be able to witness this. You get terrible gas mileage when you are trying to accelerate outside of the powerband. That explains why when you did not shift too early your gas mileage improved.

I live near NYC and almost all of my driving is city the longest I am on a highway during normal driving is about 5 miles and that has stoplights. I usually don't shift out of first until 30 or 35 and go straight to 6th where I can cruise at just above idle. Doing this the instant MPG's almost always are reading above 32. The time accelerating is also cut down, I have increased my average in city from 15 to 19 MPG.

·
Registered
937 Posts
IFryRice said:
How many miles do you have on your car? When I first bought mine I went through 2 tanks of gas going to work and back in 1 week. I was averaging around 10mpg. I just turned 8000 and the computer is reporting 19.2mpg average which is about correct for my no-highway commute. The break in period chewed through some serious gas but I cant complain now, its about 3mpg better than the wifes minivan.

·
Registered
76 Posts
when I'm driving in downtown Columbia, stoplight to stoplight, my '04 only gets about 12 mpg.

At low speeds the ls-1 and ls-2 engines get horrible gas mileage.

dude, I hate to say it, but that is normal for city driving.

on the other hand, I get 24-25 mpg on the interstate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Vader953 said:
when I'm driving in downtown Columbia, stoplight to stoplight, my '04 only gets about 12 mpg.

At low speeds the ls-1 and ls-2 engines get horrible gas mileage.

dude, I hate to say it, but that is normal for city driving.

on the other hand, I get 24-25 mpg on the interstate.
I agree. When I know I am going to do a lot of stop and go driving I keep it in the garage. 11 - 12 MPH sounds about right.

If you really want to go crazy, watch how the miles left before a fill up number changes while you are stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news...I actually am driving my car harder and got my gas mileage up to 13 instead of 11 and that was just in one day. I think 13 is the magic number for my car and thats fine with me. I still dont get why driving your car harder ends up with better gas mileage but whatever...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.