Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
My 67 came with 14 Rally's when I bought it back in '84. They were not the wheels that came with it from the factory, but rather steels and caps. I switched to 15" Rallys that were 7" wide wheels and had plenty of room for them...no rubbing. Sorry that I don't remember the tire size, but I could check if you want, I still have a couple of them as garage art...Old Firestone SS and a Kelly Charger.

·
Premium Member
1966 tri power GTO project. Eats cash, like a horse eats hay.
501 Posts
My 67 came with 14 Rally's when I bought it back in '84. They were not the wheels that came with it from the factory, but rather steels and caps. I switched to 15" Rallys that were 7" wide wheels and had plenty of room for them...no rubbing. Sorry that I don't remember the tire size, but I could check if you want, I still have a couple of them as garage art...Old Firestone SS and a Kelly Charger.
WOW! I used to run Kelly Super Chargers back in 1977, my buddy also bought a set for his 1968 RT charger, only because the tires said "Super Charger" and with a 440 & 4:10 gears it WAS a super charger. I miss the 60's & the 70's, bad ass muscle cars were everywhere and relatively affordable, no tats on women, biker chicks were smokin hot, men were tough and fought with their fists, after the fight, it was over, no gun pulling BS, and the girl next door didn't weigh in at 150 plus pounds. Damn, I'm old!

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,230 Posts
You strike me as a N 50 15 guy, we used to jack'em high and let'em hang out! Lets work on that.
Yes... I am "that type of guy", however...
  • Im pushing a lot of power through a manual trans and a stock BOP 8.2
  • I drive like a scorched cat
  • I like drifting and cornering
So for those reasons, I dont want "too much" traction and cant use air shocks

But from a strictly aesthetic stance, I would love some 275 Micky Thompsons

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Yes... I am "that type of guy", however...
  • Im pushing a lot of power through a manual trans and a stock BOP 8.2
  • I drive like a scorched cat
  • I like drifting and cornering
So for those reasons, I dont want "too much" traction and cant use air shocks

But from a strictly aesthetic stance, I would love some 275 Micky Thompsons
That 8.2 may be on borrowed time, 9" FORD is a great upgrade, but somewhat expensive.

·
64-67 Expert
9,166 Posts
You strike me as a N 50 15 guy, we used to jack'em high and let'em hang out! Lets work on that.
I just got rid of two N-50's with perfect tread that I got in 1980. Hard as bricks. Petrified. Still have the Dunlop GT Qualifier's mounted on slot mags that I pulled off my '66 GTO in 1982. Used them on a road trip to the Grand Canyon that year, and wore them out. L-60-14. Yeah, the car needed air shocks to keep the tires off the fender trim!
These cars will take 15" tires if the wheel is not too wide and the offset is correct. The offset is critical.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
In 1980 I ran L 60 15's on the rear of my stock 69 GTO, had to roll the fender lip in with a baseball bat, it worked fine. Now, I just got new Cragar SS wheels for the rear of my 66, they're 15 x8 with a 4.25 BS, my plan is to run a 275/60/15 on these. The rear end in my car is a 12 bolt from a 67 SS Chevelle, it's an 1" 1/2 narrower than the original Pontiac 8.2, so I think I'll be OK, they'll be no baseball bat this time.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Grudge night might not of worked out, but you had the look we were all after back then, hell my old project car still looks like that. Thank GOD you skipped the sun roof!

·
Registered
835 Posts
The ones I remember were the late 60's and early 70's Novas all jacked up with air shocks and bigger tires the ma and pa's 6 cylinder could turn, but they sure were COOL! By buddy had a mid 70's Camaro jacked up the same way, but his was pretty fast...gave my GTO a run for the money...mine with 2.56 gears and his with 4.11. The lower edge of his rear bumper was about and inch lower than the top of my GTO's front bumper...don't ask how I found that out...lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts