Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i think not! i had a fellow goater riding shot gun with a video camara. i said i will take him to 140 so he can see how it feels. well my right foot magical turn to lead and it went past 145, 150, 155, 161 and i had to let go :willy: i did not look down at the DIC but he got it on video and i was there and i saw the tack and it was only at 5500 rpm and it still had more to give. man what a machine. 2005gtols2 will put it on the fourm soon. who said it top out at 150 please. :cool i also had a 04 mustang gt try to get some but was wasted and pulled over at the gas station and he ask me :eek: what you got in that thing

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Thanks for the info. When I recently did 155 my goal was to see if there really was a limiter at 156, 158 or whatever it's supposed to be. But unfortunately I had to slow down because I was coming up on traffic. Some say there is a limiter and some say there isn't. Like you, I guess I'm gonna have to find out on my own. If I hit 165 I guess the limiter myth will be killed. At least on my car it will.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i have an 05 A4,,,my limiter is at 159 (had digital speedo on) still had pull left...i believe i was in the range of 5000 rpm's

·
Registered
307 Posts
The factory speed limiter is set to 155 MPH on a 2004 6-speed, or at least it was on mine.

Keep in mind that the "true" speed of the car is somewhat lower than the "speedo" speed, at least comparing my SLP-programmed Predator diagnostic data with the speedo reading it is.

Since I have nowhere safe on a highway to do 155 to test my speed limiter, and I wanted to see what it felt like when it would kick-in, I reprogrammed it to kick-in at 80 MPH. (SLP's Predator lets you drop it really low or set it up as high as 170, but there is no "OFF" setting [grumble] and I was afraid to try "0").

Instead of the car feeling like it just "runs out of power" or has a "restrictor plate" installed, it instead bucks VIOLENTLY when bouncing off the speed limiter. (I reset it back to stock after this).

So I think if you did hit the limiter, you'd feel it. Not a feeling I'd like at that speed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
BigNick said:
The factory speed limiter is set to 155 MPH on a 2004 6-speed, or at least it was on mine.

Keep in mind that the "true" speed of the car is somewhat lower than the "speedo" speed, at least comparing my SLP-programmed Predator diagnostic data with the speedo reading it is.

Since I have nowhere safe on a highway to do 155 to test my speed limiter, and I wanted to see what it felt like when it would kick-in, I reprogrammed it to kick-in at 80 MPH. (SLP's Predator lets you drop it really low or set it up as high as 170, but there is no "OFF" setting [grumble] and I was afraid to try "0").

Instead of the car feeling like it just "runs out of power" or has a "restrictor plate" installed, it instead bucks VIOLENTLY when bouncing off the speed limiter. (I reset it back to stock after this).

So I think if you did hit the limiter, you'd feel it. Not a feeling I'd like at that speed.
The factory speed limiter is 162 MPH according to all the magizines I have read and my own to eyes . Hold it down and when you hit 162 it will shut down.And you'll feel it. :cool

·
Registered
84 Posts
Any idea what the top speed is (without governor) on an 2005 with a six speed?

·
Registered
312 Posts
rippinbyu said:
Any idea what the top speed is (without governor) on an 2005 with a six speed?
W/O a governor you could go until you blow the motor but if I had to guess, they say the corvette goes over 177 MPH but if you ran that to the absolute max it would be 220 so I going to say 220+/- if you run it to the max and are on a somewhat flat surface. :cheers

·
Registered
156 Posts
smkdu said:
W/O a governor you could go until you blow the motor but if I had to guess, they say the corvette goes over 177 MPH but if you ran that to the absolute max it would be 220 so I going to say 220+/- if you run it to the max and are on a somewhat flat surface. :cheers
Well that is theoretical... so if you were in a vacuum with a constant supply of air to the engine you could hit 220ish. But in reality, I can't imagine getting over 170 in a GTO... and with the shape of the GTO, I'll bet there is alot of lift up there. But from what I hear it is alot better than F-bodies. F-bodies have windows flexing out at over 150 I've heard. Aerodynamics are crazy.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It was just a guesstimate I was trying to gauge it buy what a vette does I know the vette has a better advantage aredynamic wise but with the same drive lineand weighting in 600 lbs heavier it should be more than 170 Mph according to the data I mean my SS Silverado all done up hit 145 Mph with a 4.10 gearing granted it sucked up most my gas and took a little longer to get there than my GTO it was still a truck.....do you see my meaning??? :confused If a 5500lb truck can do 145 than 3700 car with more power better aerodynamics and better gearing should be able to at least break 200 if it was run to the top of the redline(7000rpm) I could be wrong but hey it just a guess. :cheers

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I've read some Aussie's that don't have rev limiters say it is real high 170's. The Vette does 186 according to GM and to Car&Driver. Even the Vette Conv. does 180.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I concur with fergyflyer - the quoted topspeed of the the LS2 powered Vauxhall Monaro VXR is 180mph. I'm getting this information from an article in Evo magazine (a British publication, nothing to do with the Mitsubishi). They drove the VXR flat out at 150mph+ in 114 degree heat a couple of thousand miles across the deserted Northern Territory of Australia. The writers of the article said they couldn't get it above 165mph in those conditions, with the extra weight of a passenger, nearly full fuel tank, and luggage / camera equipment in the trunk. Just to know our cars can take that kind of torture for several days is reassuring, to say the least.

The VXR and GTO are identical as far as the powertrains are concerned, and I can't see any reason why their top speeds would differ. In ideal conditions, 180mph is the number.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts