Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a 400 with #16 heads, on PUMP gas ?? If so what combo do you need to run?? (lotta talk that they create too much comp.)
Thanks, Duck..

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
It can be done on a 400, much harder on a 455. 16's have a nominal chamber size of 72 cc's, so to get the needed clearance volume the "best" solution is usually to run dished pistons.

Bear

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
If you are rebuilding your engine, Bear is correct. Usually you get the correct pistons with more cc's, aka dished pistons, or you can talk with a cam manufacturer who can "bleed off" some of the compression -type in "static compression verses dynamic compression" into your search engine and get ready for a lesson in compression ratio's. Another trick I have not seen in a long time used to be to add a water/alcohol injection system that was supposed to cool the intake charge on higher compression engines as well as give a little more power. Ever notice how your car runs stronger on a good cool damp night? I have seen a how-to article where the windshield washer pump/container was used and misted into the top of the carb via the air cleaner lid. I have seen kits for sale as well. It kicks in during wide open throttle. Might look into that as an option. I am considering one myself just as a precaution should I ever need it -even though I will have a reasonable compression ratio to run pump gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run pump gas ( premium/ 10 percent ethanol) in mine but don't know if engine was ever rebuilt before I got it 20 some years ago. I drive like an old lady anyway.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I run pump gas ( premium/ 10 percent ethanol) in mine but don't know if engine was ever rebuilt before I got it 20 some years ago. I drive like an old lady anyway.
Try using Ethanol Treatment. I use Sunoco 93 oct it has 10% corn/water. :(. I use Lucas's Ethanol Treatment 1 oz per 5 gallons. I noticed a difference in detonation. Their treatment can be used on E-85 it states, but there is no way in hell that garbage is going in any of my vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Also, consider this: In my 461, the difference between 9.2:1 compression and 10.0: compression, with no other changes made, is only worth a whopping 8 hp. (in an engine that's already over 500 hp). That makes pushing the envelope on compression to the razor's edge just not worth it.

Bear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts