Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm new to this site and am looking for some help deciding what wheels to get on the GTO I'm planning on buying soon. I think the 18s look cooler, and I don't really mind the extra cost (495). What concerns me is the low-profile tires. Will they be a lot worse in the winter than the regular tires that come on the 17s? I live in Chicago, and I'm planning on driving the car year-round, so I have to think carefully about this. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Matt

G

·
Hey Matt, welcome to the site.

As for winter driving, the 17's are wider, 18's are narrower. Most have reported the same driving ability to keep this car moving with both rims. Its really your choice as the car is gonna be a fun time in the snow anyway. I would suggest getting the 18's as they are more rare, and investing in a set of snow rims and tires.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Welcome aboard Matt:

I have the 18"s and I LOVE them. However I do NOT, drive the car that much (if at all) in the winter. The tires are a "summer only" type of tire so I'm not so sure they'd do anything for you in a good amount of snow. The 17" wheel option may yield better options for snow tires.

If you really love the 18"s I'd get them. I know you'd be able to find a set of 17" stockers on one of the GTO sites for winter.

Good luck.

G

·
you already have a combined area of 32" with the 17's, so you go down to 31" with the 18's.

Is it enough for a 3800lb car? NO. It needs 40" to really utilize the suspension. But, gotta work with what your dealt.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes. I love the stance the 18's give the Goat. From what I've heard, the BFG's on the 17's aren't of the greatest quality.

1/4 is not much, and if you're in the snow, it't take about an extra foot to help a goat out. However, when at the track thats some extra rubber I'd like w/ the 18's, Big Mike!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you don't plan on driving in the snow it doesn't matter.

If you are, in my state (VA) you may be ticketed even for something like getting stuck if you don't have all season tires on.

God forbid you have a wreck and there's snow or ice on the roads. Summer tires are just another point the other guys lawyer can bring up against you.

G

·
noz34me said:
If you don't plan on driving in the snow it doesn't matter.

If you are, in my state (VA) you may be ticketed even for something like getting stuck if you don't have all season tires on.

God forbid you have a wreck and there's snow or ice on the roads. Summer tires are just another point the other guys lawyer can bring up against you.
If that aint the daggon truth !!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
dealernut said:
I prefer the look of the 17" over the 18's. I find the 18's rather bland in design. Pontiac has practically the same rim on the GTO, G6 GTP, and Solstice as well. I hate remakes like that.

They're pretty close to some aussie HSV wheels. I'm sure thats where they were derrived. I like 'em because they help fill those large wheel openings. I'd love it they had an option for a wheel like a C6. Freaking offsets and bolt patterns! Boooooooooo:willy:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Pennsylvania Goat said:
They're pretty close to some aussie HSV wheels. I'm sure thats where they were derrived. I like 'em because they help fill those large wheel openings. I'd love it they had an option for a wheel like a C6. Freaking offsets and bolt patterns! Boooooooooo:willy:
I like those also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the 18s are marginally worse than the 17s because they're "performance" tires, but that no matter what tire I have it's going to be tough in the winter. (Are "performance" tires the same as "summer" tires? Does that mean the 17s are "all-season"?) I'm looking at buying a new '05 from a dealer around here and b/c the car is invoiced with 18s, he wants to charge me to switch to 17s, even though the 18s are an option. So I'd save a few hundred bucks with the 18s, ironically. Maybe I'm kidding myself thinking I can drive the GTO through a Chicago winter, but I really want the car. Maybe it's worth getting another set of wheels with snow tires. Thanks again, and I'd appreciate any further input.

G

·
If your gentle on the gas, you can get through the winter with ANY tire, it would just be easier on a set of winter tires.

yes, performance is somewhat the same as summer, sorta. Both suck in the winter! :D

First thing, get the car. Secondly, come back here and let me know when your ready to buy a set of winter tires, and I will hook you up with the best price and where to buy from.

G

·
man just reading this post im getting confused LMFAO... id say just grab the 18s and street tires for summer .. then for winter .. stay with the stocks and wrap um in chains.. or spiked snow tires... then swap um out when you want and have fun with um...:willy: :party:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.