Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
The shorter side wall of 18's improves lateral performance, handling, because of less flexing. I run 19's with a 35 series tire and it was a MAJOR difference than stock. Granted they ride ruffer but all the "squisheness" is gone when throwing the car into a turn. They look like thin rubber bands but that's part of the appeal also. Go with the Lightest wheel and tire combo as possible to reduce unsprung weight. BBS RGR weigh only 20 pounds per wich is some 10 lbs lighter than stock. The Michelin PS2 is also in the low 20lb per class. Rotating mass greatly affects handling and braking so the lighter the better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ftlfirefighter said:
The shorter side wall of 18's improves lateral performance, handling, because of less flexing. I run 19's with a 35 series tire and it was a MAJOR difference than stock. Granted they ride ruffer but all the "squisheness" is gone when throwing the car into a turn. They look like thin rubber bands but that's part of the appeal also. Go with the Lightest wheel and tire combo as possible to reduce unsprung weight. BBS RGR weigh only 20 pounds per wich is some 10 lbs lighter than stock. The Michelin PS2 is also in the low 20lb per class. Rotating mass greatly affects handling and braking so the lighter the better.
Is the outside diameter of the 19" tires the same as the 17" stockers? If not, do you get any rubbing or did you have to roll your fender lips? How wide are your 19"s?

·
501 RWHP & 469 RWTQ
230 Posts
I run the below combination with Toyo Proxes T1-S's. The grip is so much better than the stock as well as the cornering. Not to mention all the compliments I get. There are pictures under My Goat above the Signature picture. ROH wheels are from Australia. You do not have to roll the fenders and it lowers the car a little. :D

Recommendation for 18" wheels: Without a doubt the best set is 18x8 up front with 245/45/18 matched with 18x9 out back w/ 275/35/18. This set looks great, fits porportionally and lets you pick up some width out back. The ride quality is also great. Or use 18x8 and 245/40/18 at all four corners.

ROH Drift R 18x8 w/ a 245/40/18 tire - 49lbs
ROH Drift R 18x9 w/ a 275/35/18 tire - 51lbs

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 06 has 18's. Why do they drop down to 235 when they go up to 18's? thr 17's are 245. Seems a little strange to me. When i replace the tires can i put 245's on them? will it change anything?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry, I'm being lazy here and did not do a search of the archives, does anyone know the weigth of the stock wheel with the tire? I too am waiting for the staggered ROH Drift R setup to arrive and want to know if there is a big diff in unsprung weight with these wheels.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
NoBMWforME said:
Sorry, I'm being lazy here and did not do a search of the archives, does anyone know the weigth of the stock wheel with the tire? I too am waiting for the staggered ROH Drift R setup to arrive and want to know if there is a big diff in unsprung weight with these wheels.

Thanks.

Good question...heck, I'm having a hard time determining the weight of my MOMOs...of course, I could take them off and weigh them...

Nah. That reeks of work. :D

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
ftlfirefighter said:
The overall diameter is .1" greater than stock. No rubbing with 8.5's f & r. I'm running 245/35-19 Michelin PS2's.

With those tires being directional, from the lower photo it look like their mounted backwards :confused . Are they? Or do the grooves fan out in the opposite direction on the inside?

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
With those tires being directional, from the lower photo it look like their mounted backwards :confused . Are they? Or do the grooves fan out in the opposite direction on the inside?
NEVER MIND! They are directional but the grooves aren't of a V-pattern. My bad!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.