Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't talk much about my 70 Judge cause I do have it up for sale. Great car just doing some down sizing that's all. And my 64 is like a first LOVE!!!! But did want to share this.
It is always great to talk with a fellow Pontiac Lover! It is even doubly great to talk with one that has history with “your car”. And here is report about that. From a title search on the Judge, I knew the first owner was a Bill, in Oklahoma who bought the Judge from Paul Cameron Buick-Pontiac in Lindsay, Oklahoma. But Byron Stout Pontiac had it on their lot by October 10, 1970, so Bill could not have had it but a few months.

Byron Stout Pontiac sold it July 20th, 1971 to a David S. David had it until May 4th, 1973. Then traded it to Dave Johnson Motors. From there a John R. buys it May 17th, 1973 and after about 3-years John trades to Byron Stout Pontiac, which by now has sold and is actually Dahlinger Pontiac.

Mike K. buys it from Dahlinger Pontiac April 2nd, 1976. The Judge has 49,255 miles on it now. Mike owns it about a year to Mar. 4th, 1977. C.B. buys it on March 4th, 1977 and it was in the that family until I found it in Feb. 2003 and was able to buy it. I found the car in the corner of the garage, jacked up on all four corners under 17-years of mouse p&s and storage boxes.

The Dad of that family had driven it a few years before the son came of driving age. So, after buying all new tires he gave it to the son to drive. Two days later Dad walks around the Judge and see’s the son has burned the rear tires SLICK! Dad does the park it & jack it up on all 4 wheels speech and that’s where it was when I found it. That must have happened in 1986 ’cause that was the last time it had been tagged before I bought it.

In May of 2004 I had sent letters out to David S., John R., and Mike K. from the title search, Mike was the only reply I got. He still had pictures of it, and in fact, a set of Judge decals he had been planning on putting on. It had been repainted by then and they were missing. Which is the way I found the car. Would have loved to hear from David S. at that time, ’cause I consider him the first owner of the car. The Oklahoma guy just didn’t have long at all,maybe two months at most!

Anyway,where this is all leading up to is that David finally gave me a call in May (2010). Of course one of the first questions I always ask a previous owner is why did you part with it!!!!! And as you can guess from the title of this thread, we now know why he had to sell the car! At the time he (David) bought it from Byron Stout Pontiac, the Judge had only 1,600 miles on it. He does have lots of great memories with the Judge. The Byron Stout Pontiac dealership replaced the 4-speed tranny TWICE under warranty before sticking in the Turbo 400 and hoping he wouldn’t break it before the rest of his warranty ran out. Sounds like Byron Stout Pontiac really took great care of him.

In talking with David, as he is telling me this story, I commented something about "Sweet 16" referring to his number of tickets. He instantly corrected me, saying no,no,no, it was 18 tickets ! He then went on to say during one of his court appearances, he upset the Court Judge, as he kept referring to statements & places with "the Judge". The Court Judge then asked David's Lawyer what he was doing. David's Lawyer had to explain to the Court Judge that David's continued reference to "the Judge" was his GTO Judge, the car he drives. So the Court Judge then said it would be called a GTO and not "the Judge"from here on!!!!!!!!! If anyone wants a picture I can do that too. ENJOY, Les:cheers

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is what she looks like today.....When David and I talked on the phone he asked if he could come over to see her, of course I said anytime!! So the next day he came over. Man,it was a great visit.. David had tears in his eyes from from seeing his ole friend!!!! He took lots of new pictures...

David remembered calling Bill from Oklahoma. Cause, with only 1,600 miles, he wanted to know why it had been traded in.. He found out a young farm boy had talked his grandparents into buying it for him. The boy was living with the grandparents. Well after a couple weeks the granddad sees the grandson isn't keeping up with his chores as will as he had before the Judge. So, as the grandson leaves with it one afternoon, the granddad decides to follow him..

How many of you guessed where he was going? YEP! To the local 1/4 mile race track! And that was the end of Bill owning a 70 Judge. Would still like to find him one day too. Les

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ive owned alot of cars. And Ive always thought, "if this car could talk, I bet it could tell some stories". Apparently yours does talk. You know more about that car than most ppl know about their car, unless they bought it brand new.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David, was telling me when He & his Dad went to the dealership to buy. He got to take the Judge out on the test drive by himself. He was sure if Dad had been on that test drive he would not have ended up with it..... Good thing Dad was still doing some wheeling & dealing over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..Les

·
Registered
59 Posts
That is a great story. Thanks for sharing it. Everyone of our cars probably has some great stories. Your car had the rare opportunity to tell its.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
:agreeVery cool story!

If you don't mind me jumping in here, here's mine:

How I Fell In Love with GTO's.

It was around 1968 or 1969, during the summer. My dad owned a small used car lot in the small Texas panhandle town were I was born and raised. I helped out during the summers and on weekends, going down early to open up the place, make sure all the cars would start, filing the paper work for sales transactions, running errands, and the like. We had a relationship with a local bank for customer financing, and one day our contact dropped by to ask if he might store a couple of bank repo's on our lot until he could decide what to do with them. It's good to be nice to the bank guy, so of course we said 'Sure! bring 'em on by." The "them" in this case turned out to be two GTO's: one a maroon '66, the other a '65 - both 4-speed cars. The '65 was that metallic orchid color, you know the one, it looked good for about a week until it oxidized. Then it looked like metallic puke. I was still fairly young, just barely in high school, and though I'd heard all the hubbub surrounding GTO's I'd never actually driven one. I usually just drove something "off the lot" and at the time, that was a '62 Ford Fairlane with a mighty 221-inch V8, "three on the tree", four-door sedan. The manual transmission was fun, and it was, embarrasing as it is to admit, the fastest car I'd ever driven. Well, since I had keys to the place a buddy of mine and I made plans to return late one night and test drive one of those GTO's. We chose the '65. Of course it was almost out of gas, and as we eased it off the lot I kept thinking about how much trouble I'd be in if we got caught, or managed to tear up a car we didn't even own. I was careful. For awhile. Leaving a stop sign at an intersection on a residential street in the middle of town, not far from the lot, my curiosity got the better of me and I dropped the hammer. Mercy! In about 1.5 heartbeats the tach needle swept past 5000 rpm and I grabbed second gear --- then third gear. We were rocketing down this residential street, winding out third, parked cars flashing past in a blur, well north of the posted speed limit for the highway (let alone a tiny residential street) with our eyes as big as saucers. Nothing, and I mean nothing, in my previous vehicular experience had prepared me for a car that would accelerate that hard in such a short time and distance. That's when I looked up and saw the rapidly approaching stop sign where that residential street tee'd into the main highway going through town. No way was I going to get that GTO stopped in time. We were in big trouble. :eek: Well, I got on the brakes and locked up all four wheels. We slid through the stop sign, across all four lanes of traffic, and off onto the shoulder on the opposite side of the highway. By some miracle we didn't hit anything or anybody, and the car was still upright. As we sat there, with a huge cloud of dust and debris slowly settling down around us, for awhile all you could hear were two pounding heartbeats and the sound of that idling 389.

That's when I looked over at my buddy, sitting in the passenger seat, his face white as a ghost, and said, "I have got to have one of THESE!!!". :D

That's how I fell in love with GTO's.

My dad, in his wisdom, knew to keep my round butt out of a car like that though. I probably would have killed myself. A few years later, when I was still going through college and married, I found a 69 hardtop. I talked it over with him, and we bought it. It turned out to be the last car that he and I bought together before he died, and I still have it. With luck, it'll finally be back on the road again by next summer after I finally finish a 20+ year restoration project. Some day I'll pass it on to my son.

I still miss you, Dad.

My 1969 Pontiac GTO Restoration Project

Bear

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Bear, that's a great remembrance too... Thanks for sharing it. Anyone else want to jump in feel free!!!!!!!! Les

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Great stories! Bear, I just checked out your build link, nice car! You better keep the keys hidden to that car, baaadd ride!
I got my highschool 66 Tempest in 83 after my 71 Lemans Sport wreck--girl lane changed and took it out head on. Anyway, found the 66 Tempest with a 455 in it, was a 6 cylinder car and still had the rear end. I think it was a 1.50 gear, lol. It would burn the 1 tire for 1/8th mile!! Well, I took the car all the way up, speedo was on zero on the second time around, I say 150, but who knows. Anyway, stop light coming up in 1/2 mile, I hit the brakes and the non ribbed 4 wheel drums laughed at the thought of stopping and immediatelly faided!! I got it stopped or the light turned green, don't remember, saw my life flash before my eyes!! Then I put the 3.55 posi in the car out of my wrecked 70 and was the king of the street for the highschool crew with a 2 barrel! Spun a bearing in the car, went in the airforce and my mom sold the car for $100!!
Oh, and yes, I did go into the Airforce without a drivers liscense!!! Had 15 points against me, had to get it back after tech school. Two worst tickets were dropping load from vehicle, and Unreasonable and imprudent speed.
Now, 20 years later, have a 70 Lemans Sport and 66 GTO Cloan, life is good!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
David called yesterday. Must have been bored with all the snow we have had in the last week with no fishing going on and the garage not warm enough work in.. Got the rest of the story. How many of you ever got a ticket fixed!! Back in the late 60's & early 70's if you had a friend on the force it could happen. David's Dad had a great friend that did that to the first 17.

Finally on the 18th ticket the friend said whoa. Told the Dad we need to make him pay for this one and then David will know just how must these things cost!!!! Maybe it will slow him down. So David's Dad told David he was on his own for #18. Will David knew where the officer lived so he decided to run over and ask him hisself. Once he got there and asked for the favor he was asked if his Dad knew he was there, of course he said yes.

Officer said wait right here and went to call the Dad. Of course once Dad found out he was over there he said kick him in the but and tell him to get home!..Les

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
David, was telling me when He & his Dad went to the dealership to buy. He got to take the Judge out on the test drive by himself. He was sure if Dad had been on that test drive he would not have ended up with it..... Good thing Dad was still doing some wheeling & dealing over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..Les

Great story.

When I bought my first 1967 GTO in 1971, my Dad went with me to take it on a test drive. When I lit up the back tires, he tried to keep a straight face, but I could see a little smile. When we got home, my Mom gave my Dad all kinds of crap about letting me buy "that type of car." My Dad just smiled and told Mom it would be fine and he had that same little smile on his face. (It helped that I only got two tickets.)

Good memories..........

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Great story.

When I bought my first 1967 GTO in 1971, my Dad went with me to take it on a test drive. When I lit up the back tires, he tried to keep a straight face, but I could see a little smile. When we got home, my Mom gave my Dad all kinds of crap about letting me buy "that type of car." My Dad just smiled and told Mom it would be fine and he had that same little smile on his face. (It helped that I only got two tickets.)

Good memories..........
Good stuff, bet you were a happy camper!! Back in the day you could get away with murder, cops were way cooler.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
had a 73' Nova with a big sun super tach banded to the column shift auto...lost sight of speedo at around 45 (with tach in the way) and needle did not pop out other side of tach til around 85, needless to say the police did not find my Speed Limit Cushion acceptable as i got quite a few tickets in that car...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts