Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the 194 LED lights solve the problem that most of us GTO owners have with a dimly lit dash and who sells them?
Carousel 72TRed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
well, they are out there. A few things to consider are , how bright they are , maybe too bright and also are they dimmable?
If they are too bright that would be OK if they are dimmable.

Check the specs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are these Phillips 194 dimmable and did you buy the standards or the revives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
non-dimmable, bought the ones in the link. i thought they looked the best. they will also be the easiest to put in if the dash is still in the car, smaller. be careful, while putting in one of the superbrites the bulb got caught on the back of the gauge pod and fell in the speedometer.(another reason i like the philips). after that happened i pulled the dash and sent the gauges and speedometer out to Peter Serio and went back to the stock bulbs when they came back, plenty bright after refurb.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Often all is needed is to clean and repaint the gauge housing.

·
Registered
431 Posts
LED will work fine if you get some that stay in the socket. Youcan use a dimmer which requires a little change in the wiring , but minimal.
Use a PWM style dimmer and they will work fine, even if it says non dimmable
(Pulse width modulated) will cycle 12 volts on and off so they will work.
A traditional ( rheostat) dimmer drops the voltage which is why the LEDs wont work. The resistor that protects the LED is calculated to run the LED at 12 volts , anything less and the voltage will be to low for the LED.

·
Registered
431 Posts

Been doing speedometer and cluster repair for a little now on electronic ones. I have repaired analog units in the past
Not looking to take anything away from other members here, nor do I want any business or work. Just trying to help spread some knowledge .
Pete serio is a Master at what he does . When I grow up, I want to be as smart as he is.LOL

I am not a smart as I would like to be , But I am not as stupid as I used to be...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I repair later model electronic clusters anyhow, I can repair the older ones too. I prefer the newer stuff .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts