Pontiac GTO Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Been a while-- So COVID knocked out the body shop employee and half his guys quit. The guys he has hired are more expensive and the second car he originally told me he would do for 16 is no longer a good price He said it will be more like 30.

Anyway he is finally putting mine together. And now I am the hold up because I am missing a bunch of stuff.

So he has the body on the frame with all the new body mounts and the engine and trans in. Heater box and heater core installed.

The remaining chrome was supposed to be dropped off this Saturday past but the guy could not make it up from LA and said he will be up this week.

I am close to being done.

I have a question. The windshield wiper motor. It lookalike there are 2 - a single speed unit and a 2 speed unit. If I get the 2 speed and the wire harness and swith only supports the single speed. can I use the 2 speed version

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Combat vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Hood Combat vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·

Ok we are stuck on something very simple but I can not find the gasket for it. The Vent window... What is the gasket called that secures the glass to the frame. Not the gasket that allows the window to tilt open, but the gasket that secures the glass to the Frame.... I can not seem to find it anywhere.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
View attachment 148651

Ok we are stuck on something very simple but I can not find the gasket for it. The Vent window... What is the gasket called that secures the glass to the frame. Not the gasket that allows the window to tilt open, but the gasket that secures the glass to the Frame.... I can not seem to find it anywhere.

Isn't this it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
No, thats what I thought and ordered. The gasket I need goes inside the housing that the glass fits into.
Green Rectangle Purple Triangle Textile

That gasket on opgi is the one this whole piece fits into. The one I need is the gasket that goes around two sides of the glass and then secures the glass into this triangle frame. This gasket will look like a v

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Ok so here is my issue and i cant figure this all out. I need one of you guys to help me out with this. So the door glass was ordered a year ago. The glass came and no issue with windshild, or rear quarter or vent glass. But the left and right side glass is causing some issues. The old glass has 3 holes in the bottom. The new glass does not. So the body guy could not figure it out and I took it to a glass shop. The glass shop is telling me the glass is correct but the bottom sash is wrong. But the car had the sash that allows it to bolt through the window.

On Franks Pontiac web site I see what looks like my lower window sash and I see another that looks different.

here is what my sash looks like.

Font Gas Fixture Rectangle Automotive lighting

Thick and has three holes that bolts can go through the windows to fasten it. But it says they were pulled from a 65, but says it is applicable to 64 and 65

My windows look like these but those bottom sashes don't look anything like mine. It appears my windows are held in with glue in the channel into these sashes.

Rectangle Gadget Material property Font Automotive exterior

So What I want to know is can I get the 65 glass and will it in the 64.

I looked in the shop manual and it is of no use. Some please help me out. Or if anyone has those 64 sashes let me know. Do they work with the remainder of the mechanism.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

So this never seems to end. I dont get as much of a response since the new forum format but I am hoping someone can help me on this. So after about 2 years I have finally got the chrome back. I sorted thorugh the window issues, and now we are stuck on this piece of trim. I am missing 3 pieces of trim. Top of the driver door and the left and right side of this piece. I think it is called the A pillar outer reveal molding. It hold the gasket in for the door. Anyway the chromer swears he doesnt have it and the assembly guys swears he donest have it. If anyone knows what this piece is and has a set please please shoot me a message. I am so close to being done but just stuck on this dumb stuff.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
So if anyone cares.. This rims are actually VISION Rims. They were made under license by Hurst. But.... Vision did not want to pay licensing any longer so the center caps no longer have the Hurst Logo on it. Because they stopped making them the larger 16 and 17 rims are all sold out. You can still get the 15 inch rims but they are getting harder to find.

Unfort I am not happy with the stance of the car but the car has not been this far along in over 30 years and when I got it is had 4 tires that were all different sizes. The shocks, springs, bushings were all shot and I did not know how the car would sit.

So my current plan is get it home finish putting it together and drive it a few hundred miles hoping it will settle. If it still rides to high in the front I will probably get some lowering springs to level it out.

What I really need now are those trim moldings on the door.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
So after 4 years I finally picked it up and there is still a ton of work left. I have to be honest I dont know that I would ever do another restoration like this. It took way too long and I spent way more than I originally budgeted. I still have a lot left.

The 2nd steering coupler I got doesnt fit so there is no steering on the car. and it was more than a pain to load it on the trailer. Brake lines need to be hooked up, Wiper motor, wipers, complete wire harness, felts for the windows, top needs to be put on, pumps hooked up, car, fittings, fuses, light bubs... The list goes on and on. I am overwhelmed with the list and my wife is still upset with me becau
se I have not finished our master bedroom bath....... I honestly was feeling pretty down but when I was picking up my son from day care because picking the car up took all day and I was almost late I caught someone really staring it down and they asked me if it was mine... I could tell he wanted to talk to me about the car but I was in such a mood he just asked me after the 3 question and m half assed responses if i wanted to sell it.... I felt a little better because the damn thing is special...But still I dont think a restoration like this is something I would do again.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
This car has been pissing in my face for the past 4.5 years and taking money out of my wallet at every turn. Finally started up after 50 years of sitting idle. This car has taken me over 4 years to get back on the road and about double my projected budget. Already mentioned but the motor has all 8 cylinders sleeved and the block is now .030 over. Points have been swapped out for a Petronix ignition. The calling system has been upgraded to a cooler master electronically controlled system. Voltage regulator is eltetronic, and the starter has been upgraded to a power master high torque one. Aside from that the motor is exactly like it left the factory in 1964.

Oh I am having trouble finding a kick down module for it. I am not sure how it works. Does anyone one have one and want to sell it?

1964 Pontiac GTO 389 4 Barrel 1st Startup in 50 Years!!!!

81 - 96 of 96 Posts