Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i am restoring a 1964 gto with parts from a 64 le mans.
the hood from the le mans doesnt have the non functional scoops.
i was wondering if it is possible to converse the le mans hood to a gto hood. as far i know the only differences are the hood scoops and the front emblem.

Maybe could someone post measurements where the scoops are located? And some pictures of the scoops? That would be nice :)

I am from austria (europe), so it is no option looking for a real gto hood $$

thanks
simon

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's going to take a good metal man (some of you Euros call em "tin bashers") to make it look right. The chrome decor parts are not just installed in a hood, they're raised up and taper back quite a way down toward the windscreen. Hoods have a lot of surface tension and sometimes once "released" they have a hard time coming back. I can't help with dimensions, mine's a 65. It can be done, just throwing out some precautions/thoughts.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Front emblem is the same , 65 GTO hood is the only that does not use a emblem . Fiberglass repo. is available . Original GTO 64 hood if you could find one $2000.00 & up .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know, $2000 for a poor gto hood plus minimum ~1000$ shipping to europe is way to much

thats why i am looking for the dimensions of the scoops. there are some good "tin bashers" in austria that i could ask doing the conversion but i need the dimensions.

thanks
simon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha, i like the idea with the supercharger!

fiberglass is the last option, i would like to use a steel hood.

no one driving a 64 gto and can get dimensions of the scoops?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey,

today I have found a good metal man and welder who would try to fabricate the hood scoops.
I haven't seen a 1964 Pontiac GTO in real life here in Austria so I am unable to take measurements by myself or take some detail pictures of the scoops.

It would be a huge help if anyone who got access to a 1964 GTO could send me some detail photos or could take measurements of the scoop!

Email: [email protected].com

thanks
simon

·
Registered
3 Posts
sim,

I took some pictures of the scoops on my 64 and emailed you the link. Let me know if you need any additional ones.

- nonposter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you so much!
this is a huge help! will check with my metalman if I need anything else!

Thanks
simon

·
Registered
855 Posts
Good Luck with this. I have seen the 65 scoop welded into the 64 Lemans hood also. It looked good. Allot of bent 65 to 67 hoods at there to pull a good scoop out of.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I stumbled across this the other day and thought "FINALLY" a reproduction!

Liberty Auto Restorations is proud to announce the arrival of the 1964 GTO Reproduction hood, same gauge metal as original, fit is great, no rust to deal with, comes e coated, also we have the new reproduction scoops quality same as the hood no disappointments. Joseph 480-249-36 eight nine

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would wait a minute on this. There are a couple of guys on FB who are about to try them to see about fit and finish. If/when I hear I'll forward their findings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts