Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a look at the restoration being done on my 1964 GTO. This is PHS documented as an original factory 4 speed manual with Tri-Power original 389 numbers matching motor. I'm keeping it original looking as possible, and always used original style restored parts when replacements were made (except tires and wheels for a little variety). Stuff like adding a new repo tachometer, exhaust system/splitters, etc. Although a restoration was done on this car in the 80s, my goal is to mainly remove rust, bring the car back to it's original factory color (silvermist gray), and recondition ALL the trim and bright work and re-chrome bumpers. I'm also taking this opportunity to replace all the windows, refinish the stock wheels, engine bay and restore some of the interior as needed.
IMG_5409.JPG
As my existing paint is getting stripped off, you can see the car has a substantial amount of plastic repairs from last restoration.
IMG_5445.JPG
IMG_5446.JPG
We cut out the bad areas and patched. Both sides in the panel area (behind quarter glass) also required patches.
IMG_5412.JPG
It looks like the hood was patched with brass and what appears to be rivets, this is what was causing some of the cracking in the front area. We cut and patched with new steel as this '64 hood is not reproduced.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1964 GTO Post Coupe Restoration part 2

GTO in next stage of primer here and the interior is out. We're putting in new reproduction carpeting.
IMG_5603.JPG
IMG_5609.JPG
My trunk used to have spatter paint always rubbing off. I decided to have the trunk floor painted the same as body color, just like the factory did originally. During the removal of the spatter, we found that it was replaced with 3 piece replacement sections. That's why the plastic is under the spatter. Didn't need replacement. Attached are photos of inner quarters with spatter removed, we have found quarters were also replaced.
IMG_5618.JPG
IMG_5619.JPG
IMG_5620.JPG

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1964 GTO Post Coupe Restoration part 3

They did the GTO primer/wet sanding and prepared for refinishing. Here's a few photos of some of the areas being done in rally mat black such as radiator core support, fender skirts, firewall, etc.
IMG_5813.JPG
IMG_5805.JPG
Trunk now in exterior color just like original. Trunk lid underside.
IMG_5829.JPG
IMG_5830.JPG
IMG_5831.JPG

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1964 GTO Post Coupe Restoration part 4

Some under the hood components now in the rally mat black.
IMG_5833.JPG
IMG_5834.JPG
And some basecoat photos.
IMG_5880.JPG
IMG_5881.JPG
IMG_5882.JPG

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1964 GTO Post Coupe Restoration part 5

Some shots with clear.
IMG_5884.JPG
IMG_5885.JPG
IMG_5886.JPG
Then frame, core support area.
IMG_5910.JPG
IMG_5914.JPG

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
man i am liking that painted trunk, glad my 66' was factory splatter that would be a lot of work if it wasn't fresh metal....very nice looking car and you can't help but love silver mist. send more pics as you get them. every car i see getting closer to completion is motivation to get mine in paint in the spring.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Yes you are correct on the hard, messy work in that trunk. Here's some shots of the car being reassembled..
IMG_5985.JPG
IMG_5986.JPG
IMG_5987.JPG
IMG_5988.JPG
IMG_6004.JPG

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looks like it's going to be really nice car. I like the color and it looks like a super paint job.

My Grenadier Red '64 Post coupe is at the point that the engine, transmission, and gas tank need to be put in. The floor was replaced, so the bucket seat brackets also need to be welded in before I can put the carpet and seats in.

I've attached a few photos of the progress including a picture of the car in 1987 when we picked it up from a farmer's field in Missouri.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richard,

Did you ever replace those kick panels? Mine are cracked in the vent area and was looking for a replacement, but learned they aren't made yet. Only the ones for a/c cars are reproduced. Yours look really nice from the picture.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a pair of black ones and I painted them with Krylon Plastic paint. It goes on easily and stays on very well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
While you have access to the vent doors behind the kick panels, you should redo the vent door seals. They are made of foam rubber. The old ones can be removed by drilling out some rivits. Rivits this size and style are available from hardware stores that have those drawers of bolts, etc. It's not a difficult job, but helps reduce wind noise when you get the car done.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What did you do with the bucket seat tracks. They rust badly as they are not painted from the factory. I've got mine cleaned up, but not protected. Thinking of using some Rustoleum clear on the rails and painting the "feet" with chassis black as the factory hit them with overspray when painting the floor with the buckes in place.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Thank's for posting, gents. I especially like Dave's "restored in one day" format!!! Saves months of anxiety! Excellent work, excellent color(s). Always loved '64's, never had one. Almost, several times, but never quite made it.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
No, I picked it up from a farmer's field in Missouri in 1987 after the '64 I had bought new burned up in a house fire. This car had an Olds 425 engine and Turbo Hydramatic in it at that time. It sat at a body shop for more than 20 years partially completed because the guy at the body shop kept putting off working on it. I finally picked it up from the body shop in 2007 and took it to another body shop. They took the frame off the body and did the necessary body work. I picked it up from that shop in 2008 and have been working on it since.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What did you do with the bucket seat tracks. They rust badly as they are not painted from the factory.
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

On those seat tracks, after reading this I asked the shop to check into it...good suggestion. Also, my kick panel air vent flaps are OK as they've been worked on previously.

Dave

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Very nice, Dave and excellent choice going back to the original color. Love the Silvers...:cool

1 - 20 of 53 Posts