Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've been reading this forum for a while and have really enjoyed many of the threads and thought today would be a good day to join. Today I drove my 1964 Tempest for the last time, took some pictures and pulled it into the barn. I've been holding off and planning this project for decades and have finally completed college and have a job to support such an undertaking. The car, admittedly has seen better days. I've been driving it in the summertime to shows/cruises for the past seven years dreaming of one day having a shiny car.

My dad bought the car in the early 1980's in Pennsylvania. It came originally equipped as follows:

Model: 1964 Pontiac Tempest Custom
Body: Post Coupe (2dr)
Engine: 326 CI
Carb: 2 barrel Rochester
Trans: 4-speed Muncie
Shifter: Hurst 4-speed on the floor (bench seat shifter)
Rear End: 3:23 Posi
Ext. Color: Marimba Red
Int. Color: Maroon

The car before pulling it into the garage for the final time.

I've got some work to do....

New trunk floors and quarters, inner and outer fenders will be needed:

Phase: 1 disassembly, media blasting and body work on the front clip.

Parts Ready for media blasting tomorrow:

After a few hours of work:

Anyways, thats probably enough for a first post. I'll share more as the days go on. I'm really going to town on this project, I want to drive the car to a show in nine months. I'll have to make some compromises on parts that can be easily replaced or switched once it it finished, but I want the frame and body complete.

Any comments or help along the way will be greatly appreciated!

-Carl

·
Registered
212 Posts
Was that car originally with rocker panel moldings but without the wheel well moldings like that? I assume you are keeping it original as a custom Tempest. If so, I applaud you for not making another GTO clone.

Would be interesting to know what you spend after the whole process is finished. Let us know.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes.

Concerning the rocker moldings, I am not sure on the originality without having the wheel moldings. I'll do some research and find out. I need to have the car PHS documented (not sure if that will tell me but it needs to be done).

I am leaving it as a Tempest Custom with a few exceptions. Since it is a Tempest I'm going to take a few small liberties and delete the three trim pieces on the front fenders, I am not going to put any tempest tags on the car (no gto tags either). I am leaving the Tempest Custom chrome trim that runs the length of the car; it is in great shape. I also am going to paint the front grilles like a GTO would be painted, the unpainted Tempest ones are a little too shiny (personal preference). An uncle put the GTO tags on it, which will be removed and the holes filled. I have a GTO hood for it, but am going to restore and fully finish both so that I can switch between them as I feel. The idea is to do a really nice frame-off restoration without modifying the car to a point that it would be impossible to return it to stock as-built condition.

Am I keeping track of cost, will keep you guys updated on that side of the project from time to time.

·
Registered
855 Posts

It came originally equipped as follows:

Model: 1964 Pontiac Tempest Custom
Body: Post Coupe (2dr)
Engine: 326 CI
Carb: 2 barrel Rochester
Trans: 4-speed Muncie
Shifter: Hurst 4-speed on the floor (bench seat shifter)
Rear End: 3:23 Posi
Ext. Color: Marimba Red
Int. Color: Maroon

SWEET, No PS, NO PB, NO AC. with 4 sp & Posi and in a POST.. Be Cool if you could find the original owner and talk with him he knew what he was doing. Wonder why no 4 barrel ?? I have one that coded from a 1963 would have to dig it at to check for sure. Love the look with the Rally ones!!!!!!!!LES :cool

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made some progress today and yesterday.

I got the stainless trim removed from around the windshield:

I also removed the trim around the roof. (I was able to due it without unrepairable damage, so with some cleaning/polishing I can use them again)

The rear window trim also came off.

And the first sandblasted parts....

Daveh70, I checked on the rocker moldings. The car came originally with the rocker moldings but the wheel well trim was an additional option that, to my knowledge, didn't come on this car.

FNG69, I haven't decided whether or not the heater core will need to be replaced yet. I will definitely remove it and inspect really well prior to re installation.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Progress continues.....

Started paint removal on the hood:

More sanding..

Found a "friend"....

Top side complete:

Was happy to see the lack of rust underneath the insulation that had never been removed since it was installed at the factory.

and removing the minimal surface rust on the bottom (I used the 4-1/2 angle grinder with a wire wheel for the structural steel and a DA sander for the back side of the sheet metal skin to avoid heating and warping):

Hopefully more progress tomorrow. :seeya:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jetstang, Thanks. I'm pretty motivated to keep this car moving. I have some more pics of the rust in the trunk... I went exploring around the trunk this evening, including removing the aluminum flashing and rear bumper.

The bottom of the trunk lid looked great for the most part.

I've got some work to do around the hem at the back of the trunk lid.

The top of the trunk is in excellent shape.

The rear bumper had some rust on the backside, but the right re-chromer should be able to make it perfect again.

Trunk floor or whats left of it.

The rear frame cross-member seems to be in good shape, which was good news.

I'm hoping to see my other parts come back from media blasting soon....:eek:

-Carl

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Nice car, nice thread, nice progress........:cheers

Couple comments. I would've left the surface rust alone on the underside of the hood and sprayed it with a rust converter, such as Eastwood Rust Stop. You'll never get it all with a sander and the risk of heat warp is too great. The spray will get under the braces too and stop the rust. You can prime and paint right over the converter.
Same with the rust along the trunk lip. I would wire brush it and spray inside and out with the converter. I would then use a brushable seam sealer to cover/fill the few holes and paint. If you start trying to weld in patches, you'll most likely loose the whole lip....:(
Trunk floor....I got a 1 piece replacement with all the braces attached for my 67. They list the same one for your 64. It is a recent release from Dynacorn just for the Pontiac models and doesn't need modification like the Buick floor that was the only one available until this year. I haven't welded mine in yet, but the fit is very good. The 1 piece will eliminate a HUGE amount of time spent welding, grinding and the risk of heat warp over a multiple piece kit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mitch,
Thanks for compliments and response. I've read through your restoration thread and really liked the trunk floor and fenders you bought. Did you buy those direct from Dynacorn or from a dealer? I have looked though the dynacorn webpage and didn't find a one piece trunk floor like yours for a '64.

Also, I used the wire brush on the rust under the hood and only on the support structure. For the under side of the hood skin, I used a DA sander. Tomorrow, I'm going to sand blast the areas of the support structure that you can see but are hard to hit with a wire brush. I don't want to warp or bend any of the currently extremely flat hood. Before I prime I'm going to cover the inside of the support and other areas with POR15 or similar type product to convert the rust.

I've been really pondering what to do with the trunk lid. I have access to a laser cutter and brake press, so I've been thinking about making a patch for it and welding it in. I probably will sand blast that rusted area by the lip and see what I really end up with for metal. Then decide what way I want to go.

Rukee,
I'll definitely check for the vin stamping on the frame rail. I know that the VIN was stamped on the Transmission as well (I know that matches).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More progress was made today on the car. Not as much as I had hoped, I had to work this morning (I guess the $ isn't so bad as soon I'll need to buy some parts).

Parts came back from media blasting yesterday and I am very happy with them. They don't seem to be warped or bent.

Couple of holes found in the inner fender

Crack on radiator core support

Goo was covering this puncture in the inner fender. Thankfully someone had the forethought to put the goo in the hole to keep water from getting in and rotting the fender/firewall out.

The worst (known) issue was the front drivers fender. It has been hit lightly twice and its bent in the front and really rough on the bottom. I may try to fix and if that fails buy the patch panel.

Lower driver's fender damage and old repair.

And finally I decided to stop using my brothers' tools and get my own....As a graduation present.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I believe the lower portions of those fenders are available reproduced from Ames. Just the lower portions if you want to replace them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Didn't get much work done tonight...to tired.

I did find a picture from 1994 of the car during a Holland, Michigan winter. I'm sure this had no effect on the car's condition....

-Carl

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are your belt line moldings (the trim on the door where you would rest your arm while driving) made of stainless or aluminum? My car has 1 side stainless and the other aluminum for some reason. Just curious.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are your belt line moldings (the trim on the door where you would rest your arm while driving) made of stainless or aluminum? My car has 1 side stainless and the other aluminum for some reason. Just curious.
I haven't gotten to the doors yet, but when I do I'll let you know...

1 - 20 of 239 Posts