Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m working on installing a new American Autowire harness in a 1964 GTO. I’m close to completing the job and I have a question regarding the transmission connection. The question is should I get the parts and harness to wire the circuit up or run it without the kick down feature. I’m not familiar with this style transmission. There’s a switch mounted on the carburetor linkage and a connector close to the shift lever on the driver’s side. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I attempted to unplug the connector near the shift linkage but it wouldn’t budge. The switch at the carburetor doesn’t look too healthy either. I’ve researched a little and think this may be a two speed transmission with a locking converter. I quickly checked the pan and it’s square with a corner missing like a TH350 but the shift indicator shows P-R-N-D-L on the console.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well, if it is a T 350 you wont need the electric kickdown anyhow.
A T 400 has an electric kickdown .
I dont know about a 2 speed.
You need to ID your trans.Try moving the shifter and counting the detent positions.RNDL is 4. That would be 2 speed RNDSL would be 5. = 3 speed.
The column shifter wont tell you if you have a different trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That’s what I’ll do next time I work on it. The shifter positions sounds easy enough. I’m going to try to find an ID tag or number on the transmission. Where is that normally located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I have only worked on this car rewiring it for a friend. I’m trying to be as careful with his car as I can and do a first class job for him. I’ll be there some more this week trying to finally get the car running again. We’re making good progress and I’m down to a short list of items to complete. It’s my first time working on the GTO. We had it running but couldn’t drive it because the lights and other items were a disaster. It’s almost ready now. The owner is super excited. I’ll let you know what I learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts