Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1965 2D hardtop restoration

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  65goat1971 
#1 ·
Someone suggested I start a restoration page for my 1965 GTO restoration. The story behind the car is my dad purchased it when I was in high school and we had visions of restoring the car. I moved away due to work and it had been sitting at our family land for some time, things began to disappear from the car, center console, instrument cluster front seats so we moved the car to my parents house. I moved closer to home and have brought the car to my residence to begin the restoration process. My father recently passed away and I am wanting to start working on the car again. I have it nearly down to bare metal and recently purchased a tripower that I want to put on a 389 for the power plant. My dad was the owner of a 1969 judge that he purchased new and has been dormant in his garage since I last drove it to high school. I love the cars and have no intentions of selling as I have fond memories. Some things I am looking for is a 389 motor to put the tripower on as the 65 I have has a 400 currently. If anyone knows of a 389 that the tripower goes best with please let me know a contact. Something I have had trouble with is getting the knobs loose and the chrome trim around them, any tricks. My vision is to restore the car to the original state except for the motor and possibly tranny, everything else as far as color I want the original.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Get her emptied out, and all bolts bagged and tagged.
That upper windshield channel will be some what of a challenge.. That part is not re produced.
I took several weeks of time (each day after work) to make the one I used as my 64 was rusty like that too. seems typical that the A bodys rust there.

I also made sure one I had my piece made (made from 2 pieces of metal for ease of manufacture) I installed the screws for the trim clips, then I migged them from the backside to be sure they would not wobble or fall out, in case things got rough in the future.
Nice car .looks like a good project.

#5 ·
In searching for fabricated window channel, I have came across this company. 1964 - 1972 GTO, LeMans, Tempest, GTO Window Rust Repair Channels - Belden Speed & Engineering - window channel rust patch panels, chevelle, rust repair, patch panels, GM a body repair
Anyone have any experience with them? I am also on the hunt for a set of 77 heads for my 389 tri-power engine I plan on putting in my car. Anyone know where I could find these?

I have the intake and carbs, just working my way down. I have about decided I am going to have to piece together the engine I want.

#7 ·
Wondering which restoration book is worth the money. I have been looking at a few and one seems to come up regularly. Anybody able to give me the one that provides the best info. Took the trunk lid off not to long ago. Garage spring broke and haven't been home to do much. Plan on working on chassis bolts to separate from the frame. Looking for measurements for frame, I know I have a front bumper mount that is bent, you can see it hooking. Think everything else is straight just must have had a fender bender back in the day. I am wanting to check everything to make sure she is right.

Attachments

#9 ·
Guys, Need help confirming if these heads are 77 that was on the 3X2 389 in 1965.
Auto part

I am looking for a set of 77 heads for a 389. I have the tripower and looking for heads. Please let me know if this is what I am looking for casting is supposed to be 9778777 but that does not look like that but the 77 makes me wonder.

Thanks

#14 ·
I have been researching the steering wheels for the 1965. Was there several different steering wheels on the 1965 or just one that came with all 1965. Mine is pretty bad and want to go back with the one correct for year. Just curious. Long way from worrying about it just not sure the one on car is original.

On another note. I have my hands full and would like to get the opinions of someone that would be excellent at getting my dads Judge back on the road. It has sat in the garage for years and I would love to have her back on the road. There are a few places that are going to need to be patched and I really want someone that is not going to butcher it up. It still has original paint and the car is all original number matching car. My dad would never trust this to just anyone and I feel the same. Any one that specializes in Judge restoration?

#15 ·
Was researching my transmission and it appears to be a Muncie transmission but not sure if it is a M20, M21 or M22. I'm hoping for the M22. Not sure I can identify with just the casting and date code. I have the PHS documentation for my car but I am certain this is not the original tranny. It was hooked up to a 400 engine with a 2 bbl intake. The bell housing is a different number than what I was expecting as well. Any help appreciated.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.