Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone suggested I start a restoration page for my 1965 GTO restoration. The story behind the car is my dad purchased it when I was in high school and we had visions of restoring the car. I moved away due to work and it had been sitting at our family land for some time, things began to disappear from the car, center console, instrument cluster front seats so we moved the car to my parents house. I moved closer to home and have brought the car to my residence to begin the restoration process. My father recently passed away and I am wanting to start working on the car again. I have it nearly down to bare metal and recently purchased a tripower that I want to put on a 389 for the power plant. My dad was the owner of a 1969 judge that he purchased new and has been dormant in his garage since I last drove it to high school. I love the cars and have no intentions of selling as I have fond memories. Some things I am looking for is a 389 motor to put the tripower on as the 65 I have has a 400 currently. If anyone knows of a 389 that the tripower goes best with please let me know a contact. Something I have had trouble with is getting the knobs loose and the chrome trim around them, any tricks. My vision is to restore the car to the original state except for the motor and possibly tranny, everything else as far as color I want the original.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Get her emptied out, and all bolts bagged and tagged.
That upper windshield channel will be some what of a challenge.. That part is not re produced.
I took several weeks of time (each day after work) to make the one I used as my 64 was rusty like that too. seems typical that the A bodys rust there.

I also made sure one I had my piece made (made from 2 pieces of metal for ease of manufacture) I installed the screws for the trim clips, then I migged them from the backside to be sure they would not wobble or fall out, in case things got rough in the future.
Nice car .looks like a good project.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Someone suggested I start a restoration page for my 1965 GTO restoration. The story behind the car is my dad purchased it when I was in high school and we had visions of restoring the car. I moved away due to work and it had been sitting at our family land for some time, things began to disappear from the car, center console, instrument cluster front seats so we moved the car to my parents house. I moved closer to home and have brought the car to my residence to begin the restoration process. My father recently passed away and I am wanting to start working on the car again. I have it nearly down to bare metal and recently purchased a tripower that I want to put on a 389 for the power plant. My dad was the owner of a 1969 judge that he purchased new and has been dormant in his garage since I last drove it to high school. I love the cars and have no intentions of selling as I have fond memories. Some things I am looking for is a 389 motor to put the tripower on as the 65 I have has a 400 currently. If anyone knows of a 389 that the tripower goes best with please let me know a contact. Something I have had trouble with is getting the knobs loose and the chrome trim around them, any tricks. My vision is to restore the car to the original state except for the motor and possibly tranny, everything else as far as color I want the original.
I love your plan. I suspect several of us are restoring old goats with memories of, or in honor of our fathers. Have fun doing it and involve your own children if you have any!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. pulled the switches out of dash today, had issue knowing how they actually came out. Came out and not much damage to rings and trim. tomorrow I may go for the rear bumper and tail lamps and trim. Will post a picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In searching for fabricated window channel, I have came across this company. 1964 - 1972 GTO, LeMans, Tempest, GTO Window Rust Repair Channels - Belden Speed & Engineering - window channel rust patch panels, chevelle, rust repair, patch panels, GM a body repair
Anyone have any experience with them? I am also on the hunt for a set of 77 heads for my 389 tri-power engine I plan on putting in my car. Anyone know where I could find these?

I have the intake and carbs, just working my way down. I have about decided I am going to have to piece together the engine I want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts