Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my front brakes from power drums to power discs. I have found a conversion kit that includes the spindles, rotors, calipers and a few extras (bearings, etc.).

My question is, what master cylinder should I use? I am considering switching out the stock single master for a dual master. I am assuming that I can do without a proportioning valve and just go with a dual master cylinder off of a GM car that had front discs and rear drums.

Is this assumption correct? If so, what master cylinder should I look for?

Thanks,

Ted

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am researching doing the same thing to my 68 coupe. You do need a proportionong valve in addition to the dual master cylinder so 70% of the effort goes to the front brakes. Be careful how you do this. I suggest buying a kit with all the parts. They are readily available from a few sources. Do a Google search.

Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a place that sells all of the parts except the master cylinder (including the proportioning valve). I was just hoping that someone on here would be able to help me out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ames Performance (amesperf.com) and Direct Fit Brakes (dfbrakes.com) sell all the components that you need as a kit. Some kits have power boosters and master cylinders that look just like a Delco unit and some do not. I hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts