Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve come across a Iris Mist convertible GTO for sale. It’s painted a different color now and after talking to the owner the frame was changed out and the cowl tag is missing. He said the vin tag has not been removed and he has the PHS documents for it. Just wondering if this is something I should invest in with it not having the original frame. I know it being a convertible and the Iris Mist color make it rare but without the original frame it just makes me wonder if it’s something I should pass up on. He’s asking $22,000 which seems like a good deal to me. Body is pretty solid. Will need lower quarters. Has a 65 Tri-Power on it now and is set up for a four speed too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I would pass, even if the price is right it will never be an original car. Keep looking, I’m sure a nice car will come available, take your time and find the right one:smile3:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The fact that it does not have the original frame means you may have problems at the DMV depending on your state. Some states require 2 means of ID'ing the car with one being the VIN and the other being the partial VIN stamped on the frame. So I would confirm what your State DMV requires.

Also make sure the replacement frame is a boxed frame as used by the convertible and not an open channel frame used by a hard top or sedan. Might also be interesting to research the VIN on the present frame to ensure it is legitimate and not from a stolen vehicle.

You can get a Data Plate reproduced - GM TRIM COWL TAG ID REPRODUCTION SERVICE

I would not buy it sight unseen. If the car needed a new frame, quarters are rotted, then chances are the car could be a rust bucket and 22K could turn into a 50K resto or you sell at a big loss. It will never be worth top dollar pricing unless it were all original and documented if that is what you are thinking - and this one is not. If you simply wanted it as a driver more than it being original, then it might be a good deal, but my guess is that you will be investing more money and don't be surprised at this asking price if you find yourself upside down on it when the time comes to sell.

My Opinion. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts