Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few?s I cant find and 1965 Lemans that was not converted into a GTO clone for sale any idea on a value 100% original Lemans??? Better to keep it a Lemans or turn into another GTO clone??? Also will replacing original Valve covers and air filter housing with edelbrock parts affect the value of an all original car…

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
welcome to the forum Bear add another to the growing list of members whose cars names contain more than three letters. ahhhhh, an often asked question lately, short answer is that no matter what it will never command the value of a true GTO, if you are doing the car for future value, stock original will always cost more to buy and to build. If you are building it for "you" do what puts a big ole Poncho loving smile on your face. it looks like a gto and with a few mods it will go faster than a gto as they are a bit lighter (thats apples to apples engine wise). the Eddy parts will swap onto any engine you may upgrade to so if you want them you will be able to use them if you wanna drop a 400 in it later.Will have to step up in carb if you do though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the lemans for $700 good investment??? has been sitting for 5 Years and absolutly no rust i can see... Where do i start i dont know if it was running before parked the owner died and i got it from the daughter who has no info on the car...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Sounds like a smoking good deal, congrats and welcome!! I like speed and chrome, so I would put the pretty stuff on, just save the original stuff for if you decide to sell it. Lets see some pics!!
The Lemans is not as sought after as the GTO, but they still have value, I would do what I like, but not chop it up at all, or do anything ghetto to it, lol..
Good luck, and again, we need pics, it is a must!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Well I have a photobuck account it is free and then you will put into your post

Phototbucket will give you that format at the bottom of the picture once you get the whole thing loaded up to there site

here is a tutorial

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
thats a steal for 700.00. Ask yourself "what do i want" then get it running if its not all ready, find a new fender, do all the safety stuff first (brakes, suspension..etc.). then drive it while you work towards your vision of your car. All cars do not need a frame off resto, If the undersides as clean as the top, freshen it up and go. Too many projects get taken apart (the easy part, only takes a weekend), only to have people lose interest, not be realistic about actual cost of restoring one, and /or realize they are in over their head.

Heres my non GTO body on project....welcome aboard, and please keep it a Lemans, too few of them left.

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
100% except the machining of the motor, got the car sept 10th last year and it should be in paint (also doing myself....fingers crossed) by end of April and ready for the local shows by end of May. Looks like yours may be beyond bumping out, I don't think they are making reproductions of the 64-65 fenders, you can ask on here maybe someone has a good patchable fender to sell and you can cut the dented one up to make the patch ....:cheers

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Hey Travis, just seen it was a Vegas Car, mine came from Idaho, should be nice and clean underneath, just jack up one side at a time spray it with some oven cleaner let set for an hour or so and power wash the underside you will be surprised, wire brush any surface rust and spray or brush on a rust converter primer and a few coats of satin black enamel. Drain all the fluids and replace, check and replace plugs and wires grab a new battery and give it a shot, for 700.00 if it runs your golden. Post any questions here, bunch of great guys and infinite knowledge bank about these cars.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
That fender can be fixed.. Not by me, but by a pro. That looks real solid, hell of a deal! Good luck on the build. You can check ebay for a fender. Also, try The Parts place, Ames and others for parts you need.
To start the motor, throw a battery in and see if it turns over, don't try to start it, if it cranks over, that's good. Then, get some good gas to the carb and it may pop off if the previous owner had it running recently. Just make sure it has good oil in it, and check all fluids. If it doesn't crank and the starter is good, then put some tranny fluid in all the cylinders, let it sit for a few days, then try to work the engine over with a breaker bar.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:agree with Jets values, parts are not cheap and labor is double, so learn how to do it yourself, these cars are not very complicated and actually the work can be very rewarding. was not planning to do mine all by myself, but now its kinda a matter of pride and knowing every bolt on the car. I have had the cold Michigan winter as a work envelope, if i could drive it all year long would have probably just got it running in the flat black and worked on it as i drove it, funner when you can drive it to the parts store and have them all ohhh and ahhh about your old pontiac. just tackle weekend size projects at first to get it safe and solid on the road. Work on a master plan for what you want when your done. Set up searches on E-bay and CraigsList for the parts you want for upgrades and find deals (my motto here has been if i can't get it 40-50% off retail i don't need it yet), and over 6 months have accumulated everything to finish except my rear end upgrades which will be next winters project.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
interior is not to bad need new seat covers, seat foam, carpet, and headliner.... how hard is it to fix a cracked steering wheel???

1 - 20 of 97 Posts