Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1965 GTO with a really mint looking and working AM radio. I would NEVER dream of cutting holes in my nice interior for speakers, or even consider buying kick panels with speakers in them, I love the factory look of this car (my FIRST car out of MANY, MANY that has not been hacked apart over the years).

That said, I love my classic rock and blues.

I am considering buying a redirad am converter device
https://rediscoveradio.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=df13d9612e7029e8396801bd992a87c2

It is an adapter that plugs into the antenna and allows FM, and aux like Ipod and other. I also thought I would change the dash speaker to the OPGI Sold one with two speakers in it that fits the factory location with no modification

https://www.opgi.com/gto/G240319/

and run a small 40 watt amplifier.

The AM radio of course only has a single output, would I run a second output to the amplifier in series or parallel (not sure which). I would need an amp that support different ohm amounts (again not sure), but I do not know the specifics or if it even matters with newer amps.

I realize the left and right of the two channel speaker will not be stereo but they should both play.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I am using the dual stock-fitting speaker in my '67, with a Sony stereo I installed in 1988 that fits the dash. The kick panel speakers I used to have sounded much better. The dual dash mount speaker is tiny, and tinny. It's on par with the original speaker in sound quality. I would be afraid to push anywhere near 40 watts through it. YMMV.........

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the dual stock-fitting speaker in my '67, with a Sony stereo I installed in 1988 that fits the dash. The kick panel speakers I used to have sounded much better. The dual dash mount speaker is tiny, and tinny. It's on par with the original speaker in sound quality. I would be afraid to push anywhere near 40 watts through it. YMMV.........
These are Kenwood speakers rated to 40 watt each, i would hope they could take it.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts