Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

First post in this community and looking for some help identifying info on a 65 Pontiac I’m inheriting.

After glancing at photos it’s an all red GTO based off emblems with a 4 speed but after looking into decoding the vin, I believe it’s a Tempest Lemans, but confused as to why it has GTO emblems on the exterior and interior

The vin is: 237375K138839

Where I found that it’s a 65 Tempest Lemans from Kansas City.

The main trouble I have is decoding the engine bay tag that’s on the firewall.

07A 7691
ST 65 - 23727 KAN 5095 PAINT
TR 216 - R-R BODY
W 2LGP 5N

I don’t have any info on the motor for now. Any info or help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
In 65 the model was a LeMans. The GTO was an option on top of the LeMans. The best way to get its provenance is to send for the info on your car to Pontiac Historical Services.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the recommendation, I’ll have to give that a shot!

Heres a few photos of the tags I mentioned, in case anyone can tell based off the photos.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
That car was made in Kansas. Kansas used 5N on the data plate for a GTO. Yours has 5N on the data plate, so it looks like it is a real GTO. But I would still get the info from PHS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the help, I just received the PHS docs and it is indeed a real GTO.
It has the original 389, and has a 4 speed but unsure if it’s the original yet.

I’m having a hard time finding similar “barnfind”, very original GTO’s for sale or that have sold, most are fully restored, it’s all there with hardly any rust besides a bit in the trunk. I’ll most likely be selling it to fund another project I’m doing.

Anyone have an idea what the value of it could be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks guys for the help, I just received the PHS docs and it is indeed a real GTO.
It has the original 389, and has a 4 speed but unsure if it’s the original yet.

I’m having a hard time finding similar “barnfind”, very original GTO’s for sale or that have sold, most are fully restored, it’s all there with hardly any rust besides a bit in the trunk. I’ll most likely be selling it to fund another project I’m doing.

Anyone have an idea what the value of it could be?
ever decide if you're selling it ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts