Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like this needs attention. 1965 steering column seems to steer alright but this just doesn't look right. Looks like a brass bearing is not in center of shaft. Any thoughts or tips on disassembly. I have looked all over the web for diagram of the steering column for a 1965 GTO and not having any luck. Any help would be appreciated .
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
272 Posts
NoAngel here. I doubt what I did will help. I changed my OEM steering to rack and pinion. The conversion procedure lets you keep your steering column, but you have to cut off the rag joint. Once I did that, it was easy to pull the column up with the steering wheel attached. That’s when I found my plastic retainer was cracked. Your shaft not being centered appears to be due to the missing retainer. At least I don’t see any evidence of it in your photo. In the thread I started, GTOJunior provided an excellent pic of the column retainer I am referring to. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I pulled my pinch bolt clamp and washer back to see mine close up again. (See attached). Now you have company on the confusion front. The bronze colored part in your photo is not like mine. I do believe you need the part in the attachment you provided. Would like other forum members to confirm. I can’t tell if the part you are looking at has a plastic insert, or if that is an additional part.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The bearing you show is only part of the issue.
The plastic retainer is more likely worn away and the shaft is now able to move around off center.
I'm unaware of any OE style Pontiac retainers, unless you luckily find an NOS.

Option B is trying to find a good used but remember these are old and brittle just like the one that failed.

Option C would be using the aftermarket '66 Chevy Retaining/Bearing assembly which it has been said works.
I don't know this first hand.

Option D is a Billet retainer with roller bearing.
This was offered in the past From Hammer Time Racing, This is the route I went when mine failed a few years back.
I do not know if they still offer these.

Installation of a replacement is very straight forward but requires column removal.

Hand Jaw Wood Finger Tree

Hand Finger Household hardware Thumb Gas

Rectangle Cleanliness Natural material Composite material Wood

Camera accessory Automotive tire Camera lens Rim Cameras & optics

Drinkware Cup Dishware Serveware Automotive tire

Tin Cylinder Audio equipment Drinkware Gas

Camera lens Wood Audio equipment Gadget Rim

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
272 Posts
The plastic retainer is more likely worn away and the shaft is now able to move around off center.

Option B is trying to find a good used but remember these are old and brittle just like the one that failed.

Option C would be using the aftermarket '66 Chevy Retaining/Bearing assembly which it has been said works.

This was offered in the past From Hammer Time Racing, This is the route I went when mine failed a few years back.

Installation of a replacement is very straight forward but requires column removal.

View attachment 153410
View attachment 153411
View attachment 153412

View attachment 153413
View attachment 153414
View attachment 153415
View attachment 153416
View attachment 153417

View attachment 153410
View attachment 153411
View attachment 153412

View attachment 153413
View attachment 153414
View attachment 153415
View attachment 153416
View attachment 153417
Those pictures and the options you explained are outstanding. If I have a problem with my shaft not staying in the center of the column I will know my options in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just completed lower bearing install. Complete removal of steering column through firewall from inside without removing seat. No problems probably took less than 2hrs complete. Before and after photos.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Rim Gas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts