Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was metallic paint originally used on the dash & tops of doors in a 1965 GTO with a (metallic red vynal) interior or was it just a deep red without metallic in the paint. I would appreciate any information on this topic,Thanks.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
From what I've seen, not metallic. My blue interior '65 that has the original paint on the dash seems to be very, very fine metallic....but the red cars I've seen have been solid pigmented cars. I haven't seen an all original red '65 interior in a LONG time. Others will chime in. I think red is one of THE coolest interior colors for these cars.Congrats on not changing it to black!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I bought some of the interior paint provided by pontiac back in the 60s to paint the dash on a non pontiac car because of the looks. Pontiac used a flattener in their premixed paint to reduce the glare from the sun. It is a much flatter paint than what you can buy in todays flat paint spray cans.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Pontiac only used the flat paint in front of the dash pad by the speaker vents/defrost vents to reduce glare. It was semi gloss/satin on the rest of the dash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts