Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase an aftermarket radio for my '66 GTO and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? I'm mainly looking for the ability to play mp3's through my iPod while I enjoy some summer cruisin' with my wife.

I've looked around at Year One and OPGI and they have several options listed, but there weren't really any reviews to help out.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
watch the adds directly above the threads, there is a forum advertiser that sells the retro radios with mp3 capability, their name escapes me right now i think it is retro-sound, just watch the advertising as you are browsing it will pop up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep,retro sound is the name, put one in a chevelle and really liked it, has mp3,usb and a remote. You can put it in without hackin ur dash.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Have you thought of keeping your OEM with the internals replaced? Mine is stock but I'm able to get FM stations and I have an AUX input and output. Its going to cost more but it looks stock.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have the Custom Autosounds unit, and I like it. Looks mostly stock, and just minor trimming to the dash opening is required. My dash was already cut for a different old aftermarket radio from the '80s so I didn't actually do the hacking. Anyway, sounds good, has MP3 inputs, AM/FM, and decent power. I am running the rear 6X9s off an amp that was already in the trunk when I bought the car. I also ran a wire to the console to hide my MP3 player in easy reach, like INSTG8TR's photo.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have a small pile of mid 90's 2 knob, tape deck, aftermarket radio's, from when they still where making them. Pioneer, Clarion, JVC and I think a Sony. My brother tried to get me to though them away when I move out to Ohio. He said they where junk. I told him he was crazy and you can't just go out and buy them anymore. Even with the ones I have, I am like 2 short for all my cars. Anyway I have a couple installed in my classics's. I use the cassette adapter from my old portable cd player and just plug that into the headphone outlet of my Mp3 player. They have them at the dollar store for around 5 bucks. If you go to the mainstream store, there like $20. It works great for the radio's that eat tape.

My Classic Car show as had a sit down interview with Custom Autosounds. They look super cool and have some nice options.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm going retro sound when I get the funds. I'm not to fond of the whole put it in the glovebox idea... How am I gonna reach it way over there while I'm driving? Lol. :p Remotes dont always work very well either.

Looks clean and has all I need which is fm/am and ipod plug in. :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Went with Retro Sound. Looks great, fairly easy to install if you don't have 4 thumbs, and the mp3 and using the SD chip work well. Only complain is that the radio ( it is a radio first) seems to have crappy reception. Haven't done a thorough search yet to see if I messed up something, but that is my only issue.

rich:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally went in and bought the Retro Sound today; I think it'll be good with the aux input for the iPod and then not having to cut the dash at all for the install.

Can't wait to get this thing in and enjoy the tunes!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Retrosound has the best "specs"....HOWEVER, it cant be used to control a CD player (if this is a concern).....Custom audio is second place, and there is an expensive unit that PY sells that looks like a stock AM/FM 66 GTO radio with modern guts...........none will have the S/N ratio or THD ratings that a modern head unit will have.....Gotta pic between looks and sound quality. IMHO....E

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think my wife and I even own a CD anymore :cool

We're mainly looking for the aux input so we can hook up the iPod. We've made some great playlists to enjoy on the road!

We were trying to find the best "meld" between a classic look and decent sound quality all along with the inputs for an iPod! I just need the system to get here so we can start enjoying this weather with some music!

-clay

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Clay, I am not that "musically advanced" yet....I own about 150 CDs...I guess I will eventually get the ipod/MP3 thing down. I like the option of both. Please let us know how the unit sounds and what speakers etc, you decide to use....Thanks:cheers, Eric

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I finally got the Retro Sound radio installed and put two new 3.5" speakers in the front. I had a local place fabricate a top for a pair of 6x9 speakers in the back.

It's taken me a while to get here with the shoulder surgery and engine rebuild in the middle of everything, but it's nice to have the new tunes now! It sounds great and I'm really happy with the Retro Sound radio - fit in the dash with no cutting and has a ton of options for inputs.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
looks good Clay, glad the shoulders feeling better, took me 4 months til i was feeling 90% after mine. i like the package tray they made for you i am cutting the holes in mine than wrapping it in the perforated headliner material so they will be invisible like the rest of the tunes. was even able to fab a little glovebox in with the head unit and EQ

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian

1 - 20 of 34 Posts