Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. I've decided to paint my 66 GTO purple. I know it goes against all the purists because currently it's the original red. I'm looking for suggestions of which shade or DuPont color purple to use. I currently only have the plum crazy purple to go with. Does anybody have any suggestions of tried and true purples that I can use and view on the 1966 GTO?

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Not really. My suggestion would be to contact a PPG outlet or other auto paint supply shop and look at their color chips to help find what you're looking for. Some paint manufacturers put their chips online but I've discovered they do not match the actual chips in their paint chip books.

Yes, you may get some flak about this, but it is YOUR car. Unless you have plans to flip it relatively soon, I would do it my way. My GTO is far from original, but it's my car and I really enjoy it the way it is.

I don't know your timetable on this or where you live, but I attended a GoodGuys Rod and Custom event up in Charlotte and PPG was there and I was a able o get some great paint chips to help me find the exact color I wanted.

LUCK!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Welcome to the forum, understand not everyones a fan of the reds. Personally, am not a big fan of most of the factory red colors (other than the '63 & '64 Marimba reds). One of my roundport keeper cars is red. I'd actually considered respraying it in rosewood, a fairly rare factory color for the year that would compliment the car's black interior. Finally after mentioning it to quite a few of my longtime restorer/collector buddies, came to my senses as the car is just too valuable & a color change would have hurt it more than the cost to strip & repaint.

On a '66 GTO, as long as it isn't a factory tripower car, or a very original convertible, youre most likely not doing any damage to the value if you go to another factory color. That said, have been in the hobby a long long time & watched quite a few cars sold off. Some as a result of big unexpected changes: divorces, illnesses, bankruptcies, poor investing for the future, some from owner's passing early. Having helped quite a few familys sell off their loved ones prized musclecars. Typically what it comes diwn to is unless ones trying to throw together a beater with a MAACO respray, its typically better keeping the more desirable factory color cars close to original in paint color.... this can help quite a bit when cars have to be sold... we never know when priotities change, or our time is up.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Not sure it your looking for just True Purples but if you wanted to keep it in the Pontiac family 1967 PLUM MIST is an awesome Deep/Dark Purple that changes depending on lighting;

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Many variations of "purple." You can check with your local auto paint stores/suppliers where they have chip books you can view. If you don't know which stores carry/mix auto paints, go to any local dealership/auto body repair shop and ask them where they get their paints.

Also, you can check places like motorcycle shops as motorcycles use custom colors, ie popsicle purple. There are also custom colors, ie candy purples from the House of Color (which can be enhanced by choice of your base coats).

So many choices, not just the Mopar color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts