Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time build thread poster here....

I found this beauty in October 2014. It's was a lovely pile of 1966 GTO parts. I literally pulled it out of the woods (no trees were harmed in the process). It came with a 400ci/400 set up...so clearly not a numbers car. Needs, well, just about everything.

My plans for it have varied pretty significantly. Before reading any further...if you are hoping for a completely stock restoration....or if you hate LS swaps...please close this window. :smile2: It all started with the disc brake kit conversion. 2 wheel disc plans changed to 4 wheel disc...400 plans changed to the LS I had sitting in the garage...15in rally plans changed when I scored a very sweet set of 19 in tires for free-fifty. Then I discovered the 5.3 LS I bought was actually a 4.8. What to do....what to do....OH! Twin turbo it. Yes, that's right. Twin turbo plans in the near future.

What it needs:
-Frame - DONE
-trunk - DONE
-floors - started
-a couple cross members - DONE
-package tray
-quarters
-tail panel
-wheel wells
-interior
-a pillar
-glass
-brakes - DONE
-powertrain - in progress
....maybe I should have listed what it doesn't need. :suspicious:

Anywho....here are some pics of my progress so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Would love to see some detailed plans/partnumbers on the LS swap. My 455 is the last carburated engine I ever mess with im thinking LQ9 for mine one day. Good luck and itll be worth it when its done! That moment when you drive it the first time is worth 10 fold the money and time youll have in it. Great project!

PS: The purists will get over it. Over sized wheels n tires, modern brakes and drivetrains are AWESOME imo

·
Registered
345 Posts
"... The purists will get over it. Over sized wheels n tires, modern brakes and drivetrains are AWESOME imo"

:(

Yeah, all that stuff is great, but NOT in a '66 GTO !!! IMO :nonod:

·
Registered
393 Posts
It just tick's me off to see how some people let an Ole Goat just sit there and let it deteriorate away in the first place. Glad you are bringing her back!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would love to see some detailed plans/partnumbers on the LS swap. My 455 is the last carburated engine I ever mess with im thinking LQ9 for mine one day. Good luck and itll be worth it when its done! That moment when you drive it the first time is worth 10 fold the money and time youll have in it. Great project!

PS: The purists will get over it. Over sized wheels n tires, modern brakes and drivetrains are AWESOME imo

Beautiful car you have there BTW Ben.

I am just getting all the parts together to drop the motor on the frame. I will be glad to get you p/n's for everything I used once I make sure she fits good.

I appreciate the feedback. I fully expect some negativity. But I get it. I am guilty of judging other peoples stuff. I LOVE a nice clean factory original car...14's...red lines....all the old stuff. This one is outside of the box for me as well. The beauty of it is...everything is held on with a bolt. If I think it sucks....it can be changed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Saw your trunk repair. Can you tell me how you are joining the seams of the pan pieces and extensions together? I see the spot welds, are you welding the entire seam on both sides?
BTW, whose parts did you use?

Looks good so far!

Regards,

Kevin -Indy1K

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Saw your trunk repair. Can you tell me how you are joining the seams of the pan pieces and extensions together? I see the spot welds, are you welding the entire seam on both sides?
BTW, whose parts did you use?

Looks good so far!

Regards,

Kevin -Indy1K
I am using Goodmark for the trunk floor and supports. The center section has flanges to accept the side sections. I put spot welds (~every inch) on the top and welded all sections to the support below. I am not going to weld the entire seam. I used a grinder to knock down the spot welds and brushed the seam with POR-15. Once I get the interior floors done I am going to go back and blend all the joints so you will never see them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some more randoms here. Got the floors cut out last night. I have some work to do, but I plan to put the new floors in...2 weeks or so.

I have a new dash ready to go...and no it is not the one in the pic. The wheel well is a before shot. I have some fresh steel in there now. Sorry about that blurry floor pic....

As you can see I am scoring some free tools in the process. The trunk drop-offs were hiding some "nice" wrenches.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your car your project ways I see it. I have a 67 that I was thinking about doing a LS swap but the cost kept me away. I can't wait to see yours done! Good luck for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am using Goodmark for the trunk floor and supports. The center section has flanges to accept the side sections. I put spot welds (~every inch) on the top and welded all sections to the support below. I am not going to weld the entire seam. I used a grinder to knock down the spot welds and brushed the seam with POR-15. Once I get the interior floors done I am going to go back and blend all the joints so you will never see them.
Thanks, I will follow suit. It looks like you placed the center section first as to make sure it is properly aligned.
I have used POR15 many times and love it. What product are you sealing the seams with? Just the POR15 paint?
Good luck with the rebuild. Thanks for the guidance.

Regards,

Kevin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I will follow suit. It looks like you placed the center section first as to make sure it is properly aligned.
I have used POR15 many times and love it. What product are you sealing the seams with? Just the POR15 paint?
Good luck with the rebuild. Thanks for the guidance.

Regards,

Kevin
Using POR-15 and gonna go over it with some light weight body filler to hide the welds. For the edges at the trunk drop offs I have some 3M brush-able seam sealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interior work.....

It is premature, but i have started refinishing the seats. I am putting new springs in the front bases and new foam everywhere, so it is best to do it when it is very hot outside....as I am sure you know.

1) I took the seats down to the bare frames and soda blasted them.
2) Installed the new springs in the bases
3) Stretched the new covers on.
4) for the rusty crusty seat tracks, I pulled them off and soaked them in white vinegar for about 3 days. I rinsed them off and they were completely rust free. I painted them and repacked the tracks with grease and they are better than new.

As you can see, I don't have them back together yet, but I wanted to show some progress. The white seat is how they looked before I started. The car had black interior originally that someone did a poor job of recovering in white.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice job on the seats. They are going to look great. I would have wussed out and just installed some newer GTO seats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad I found this thread- you're making me feel better! I have a $500 66 Lemans getting delivered tomorrow that's also a pull out of the woods. I think only difference is mine has front fenders and a Caddy 500 sitting in the frame rails. Sitting, not bolted lol. Nice progress!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts