Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been trying to figure out what is going on with some frame/body flex when I put my car on the lift. So I have a 2 post lift and position the arms under the frame behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels when I need to lift the car and do any work under it. The problem I have is that when the car is lifted from these points the front clip starts to sag downwards and the fender/door gap gets small at the bottom and big at the top, at least 1/4", thus indicating the frame is flexing/bending right under the firewall. The body and front clip sheetmetal have all new bodymounts and they are all tight, I have double checked every one. I am doing a resto on the car and do not want to have this issue once everything is painted and put together. Does anyone else see this happen with their car?

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Not with a hardtop or coupe. With a convertible, I get gaps at the rear of the doors to the quarter panel....totally normal. I leave the doors closed when it's up in the air. You may have frame issues.....internal rust/thin metal. These cars flex some when lifted, but yours sounds a bit extreme.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not seen this on my 2-post Bendpak lift. Over the 7 years or so that I have owned it, I have had many Chevelles, pickups, Tri-5's and my Goat on it, and have not seen the kind of flex you describe. I would have to be suspicious that there is some frame irregularity that is allowing the whole front clip to drop away from the firewall. Scary! Definitely check the frame rails where they curve in from under the doors to the engine compartment. That area beneath the cowl is a common spot for accumulation of dirt that holds moisture and causes the chassis to rot from the inside. I hope you do not find that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice on this. I am about to separate the body from the frame for a restoration. I will be able to get to the bottom of this soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts