Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got another new project starting in the V8TV shop - an L92 / 6L80E powered 1966 Pontiac GTO.

This 1966 GTO has seen better days, and this intro video explains the project details from start to finish, including the crazy timeline. It kinda goes like this: Install GM 6.2 liter L92 V8 and 6-speed 6L80E transmission, install Air Ride Technologies Street Challenge air suspension system, upgrade the wheels, tires, and brakes. Drive on Hot Rod Power Tour. Disassemble entire car, replace quarter panels, repair holes in trunk floor, window ledges, fenders, and doors, paint, reassemble, and take to SEMA 2008. Whew!

As always, we'll be bringing you every step of the build on video.

Intro Video Here

·
Registered
465 Posts
wow, great to see another one get done well. Just post up if you have any questions, im sure somebody can find you an answer. Seems like an awesome show w/ some sweet projects. Is it only DVD right now or can it be seen on network TV?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, great to see another one get done well. Just post up if you have any questions, im sure somebody can find you an answer. Seems like an awesome show w/ some sweet projects. Is it only DVD right now or can it be seen on network TV?
We're building the whole thing on the web, and then it will be available on DVD when complete. We decided to leave network TV to better target our viewers, when they have the time to check out the show. That's the beauty of the web, it's all on-demand!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Tonight, we bolted the Street & Performance engine plates and oil pan to the L92 V8 and 6L80E six-speed automatic combination. We were pleasantly suprised to see that it almost fits the car without modification, but we will need to do some more test fitting to be sure.

V8TV | Sema, Restoration,, Musclecars,, | www.V8TVshow.com | 1966 GTO Blog #3 - Test Fitting L92 V8, 6 Speed | V8 TV, V8-TV
You absolutely have to paint this baby black or red. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
I can`t believe they make oil pans and engine mount kits for that!
That install looks sooo up my alley. Gimme a week and I`ll have it in there and running. ;)
I love doing those installs were they never should be. I once did a Olds Rocket 350 in a `78 Toyota Celica hatchback and drove it for a few years. Then updated the motor for a 550HP chevy sb, to handle the power I channeled the body and dropped it onto a shortened D-50 truck frame.
hehe, the good ole days! :D
Really looking forward to your next Blog V8TV!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Rukee - thanks for your offer to help! We may need it! We've test fitted, measured, scratched our heads, tested again, looked at the calendar, scratched our heads again... and we've determined that the 6L80E, while cool, is not going to fit this car in the timeframe required. The trans is just too big, and the amount of surgery needed is going to take a long time, and then it would take just as long to un-do if the trans didn't live up to expectations.

So we talked to Mark Bowler at Bowler Performance Transmissions about his upcoming project... a collaboration with Bowler, Twist Machine, and Gear Vendors to create an 8-speed 4L65E auto that can be paddle-shifted up and down through 8 gears. Sounds cool to us, and it actually fits in the car! So the story changes a little, but moves 2 gears ahead!

V8TV | Sema, Restoration,, Musclecars,, | www.V8TVshow.com | 1966 GTO Blog #4 - Shifting Gears | V8 TV, V8-TV

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
That tranny looks huge! It looks like the pan is about 5" lower then the motor pan. Wonder if that pan and pick up could be cut down, shortened, and widened the pan to keep the capacity the same? Or flatten the pan right out and put a remote pickup in a holding tank, too much trouble. prolly still won`t be enough the way it looks. The new tranny sounds like it`s going to work out better in the long run anyway with the paddle shifting and an 8 speed. Will it work through all 8 gears if you just leave it in drive and drive normal? Or will you have to manually shift it all the time?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The body of the trans won't let you cut it down, and I don't think a flat pan exists. Nor do we have time to engineer a reliable remote reservoir system.

The 8 speed is supposed to shift on it's own or manually, however you like. It's going to be fun!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You've got a cool red one... but I think this one will be an orange of some sort.

Unfortunately, the 6L80E is just too big to fit. The whole story can be found on our forum site here...

1966 GTO L92 / 6L80E / Air Ride Street Challenge Project

So we elected to do a 4-speed auto with a Gear Vendors overdrive unit and a Twist Machine paddle shifter. 8 speeds here we come!

We received our new 4L65E transmission from Bowler Performance Transmissions the other day, and now the progress on the GTO continues...

www.V8TVshow.com - 1966 GTO Blog #5: The 4L65E Transmission Arrives

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GTO Chassis gets paint

The GTO's chassis got a bath in the new Eastwood Ceramic Chassis Black. We like the satin finish, and hope it has the chemical and chip-resistance for a driver. It's a 2-part catalyzed chemical that cures up hard. Spraying is pretty simple, although it seemed to like to run just a little if you "pound" it on.

Video: www.V8TVshow.com - 1966 GTO Part 8: Ceramic Chassis Paint

1 - 20 of 46 Posts