Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order the carpet for my 66 GTO that came with parchment. The po changed it to gold. I've seen a bunch of parchment cars with black carpet and don't see white or parchment available.

Was black the correct color?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll be interested in seeing what the experts have to say about this. I am switching to parchment interior in my 67 Le Mans and have only seen black carpet on 67s with parchment too. I plan to go with Mariner Turquoise exterior with the parchment interior, turquoise carpet, dash, steering wheel, steering column and the carpeted portion of the bottom of the door panels. If I can get or dye standard seat belts turquoise I'll do that or maybe just buck up for deluxe belts. I have never seen any information on factory interior color combinations like you are discussing yet but am curious to know.

·
Registered
376 Posts
A book I have says for the 1966 224 code (parchment):
Seats: Parchment
Door lower carpet panel: Black
Door upper panel: Parchment
Headliner: Parchment
Floor carpet: Black

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Roger that is correct. Black carpet, door panel carpet, steering column/wheel, and dash. Cameo Ivory A-pillars, seat backs, and upper door sills. This is correct, but does not match the parchment of the seats and door panels. It wasn't intended to. I've seen restored cars with parchment colored paint on the seat backs and sills, but this is incorrect.

·
Registered
217 Posts
g'guy is right about the white on the door tops. The GM Cameo Ivory or Ford (did I say that?) Wimbledon White are excellent choices for the white painted parts. Here's a trick for ya. Use straight basecoat (I like Shop-Line by PPG) and add a drop of catalyst to the ready to spray mix. The actual product is DX 57, 1 oz to a ready-to-spray quart, so a couple drops will do the trick. You get a catalyzed finish that's easy to clean and has the dead on gloss. The catalyst (hardener) keeps the white from staining as your hands and arms are sure to leave an occasional smudge.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its the GTO Restoration Manual by Paul Zazzarine. The description is very clear on Parchment interior combinations in particular.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts