Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 66 GTOs will the PHS show the exact color of a special order? I'm looking at a 66 with SPEC for the paint code on the cowl tag, but no code. I've seen a 65 with SPEC but it also had the code for tiger gold. Thanks

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Usually not. It will just say special order paint, with no color listed. To find the original color, you need to look under the door step plates or if a fender is off, at the inner cowl area.

·
Registered
373 Posts
SPEC on the cowl tag was used for the 1965 model but a book that I have says in 66 the special paint was coded a number 2 representing the special paint vs having a letter for the paint code itself. A code number 1 is standard GM paint not a pontiac color where code number 2 is special pontiac paint color. This book list the colors of the special pontiac paint colors.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I saw a '66 GTO that had a SPEC on the trim tag...car was painted '66 Corvette Solar Yellow, or something like that. You never know....Usually, the number after the letter on a paint code signifies the color of the top of the car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one has a "2 2" indented in the upper right corner of the cowl tag where the rest of the letters/numbers are raised. It only has "SPEC" on the bottom by paint. I saw on the ultimate gto site where they list the 4 spec order colors and have a letter for each. Any idea on how many SPEC cars are out there?

·
Registered
373 Posts
It sounds like your tag is from Fremont, CA, with the 2 2 in the upper right corner. I think its a reference number to track the car while in the plant.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here's an image of the tag. I looked at a bunch of images on google and other GTO sites and they all have the "PAINT" all the way to the right. The only tags I could find with paint in the middle like this one were for different GM cars. I even found other 66s made at Freemont and they had paint indented all the way to the right. Is this one a fake?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a collection of cowl tags. All the Fremont tags have the word PAINT just below the word BODY. Other plants did have the word PAINT way over on the far right. Yours looks legit.

I would get a PHS. The IBM punch card that PHS has would most likely have the code of the special paint they used on your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts