Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'am beginner in measuring tires. I have a 1966 pontiac lemans with 15" rear rims but I don't remember the width, I think they are 8". I've just tried mastercraft tires 295/50/15". There's enough space from the back of tires but the problem is in the front side. They rub exactly in the bottom of fenders chrome. I have some photos for the tires. I can take more photos if you want. Any ideas to get these tires fitting well ?

The first picture with the previous tires, I think they were 225s

Best Regards from UAE. :)

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
-more offset on your rims if you have 2 more inches to the inside.
-cut or roll your inner fender lip
-pump up yoru air shocks 80's style
-put 255's on and lower it to where it should be
when you jack up the suspension it changes the whole geometry, what little traction you get from a 2 inch wider tire is negated by the harsh ride, terrible cornering and excessive wear on parts from the pounding they will take, just my $.02.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Yep, you need wheels with more backspacing. Hit Google using search terms like "how to measure wheels", "wheel backspacing", etc. to find out how all the measurements work. Then get yourself one of these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-01201
That'll help you figure out exactly what you need.

If you're running disc brakes, don't forget to allow for caliper clearance.

Bear

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Yep, too much dish on the outside of the wheel. A 295 will fit with the right offset, but that would entail new wheels. A 255-60 may work with those wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts