Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gear heads,
I need some help... I have a 67 gto with an original BOP 8.2 open with 2.93 gears. I was told that all POSI must be used with 3.- - gears. What must I do to get some POSI going. I bought a rear end seal and bearing master kit from original parts place and currently have both axels out of the car... FYI the axle bearings are hard to pull off even with a 12ton press...馃槴 I have every tool to do this job including checking backlash with dial indicator... but I don鈥檛 have the knowledge on what order to do all this. Oil is out and cars on stands. Any help over the next few days is appreciated.

Registered
Hello gear heads,
I need some help... I have a 67 gto with an original BOP 8.2 open with 2.93 gears. I was told that all POSI must be used with 3.- - gears. What must I do to get some POSI going. I bought a rear end seal and bearing master kit from original parts place and currently have both axels out of the car... FYI the axle bearings are hard to pull off even with a 12ton press...馃槴 I have every tool to do this job including checking backlash with dial indicator... but I don鈥檛 have the knowledge on what order to do all this. Oil is out and cars on stands. Any help over the next few days is appreciated. View attachment 136368
I think someone gave you bad info - so don't ever go to them for further advice.

Check out this site. Looks like they have an Auburn unit for 2.93 gearing - $485.00. Contact the site and get what info you will need from someone who has the correct parts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I鈥檓 ordering now... 28 spline is correct for my 67 right? If so it鈥檚 the one I need

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Alright!!! Bought the
GM 8.2" BOP Auburn Pro Posi Differential 28 Spline 2.93-3.23 542099

If you guys have any procedures(order of operations) that would really help me out. Transmission and rear ends I鈥檓 unfamiliar with. There鈥檚 not much on YouTube...

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I was doing what this guy did...
The bearings that are hard to remove are the axle ones. Even this guy had a hard time with the right stuff. I鈥檓 going to put some heat on it tomorrow.

Registered
I was doing what this guy did...
The bearings that are hard to remove are the axle ones. Even this guy had a hard time with the right stuff. I鈥檓 going to put some heat on it tomorrow.
Sometimes our 20 ton press doesn't get them off. Be cautious with heat, you don't want to soften your axles. When they won't press, we cut them...carefully.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Mines a66 that鈥檚 great info... I took it to Valley Differentials in Stockton and that guy (owner) was amazing... originally I called him and told him I had trouble getting the axle bearings out. I told him I put heat on one... he ask with what and I told him a small propane torch... he giggled and said that鈥檚 not enough heat and also that it wouldn鈥檛 have damaged them and that he would cut them off and press on the new ones for $40bucks... now to be honest with you, you can鈥檛 get shit for $40 in California but that wasn鈥檛 the end... he spun the bearings and checked them out and said... to be honest all these bearings come from China now and these bearings will probably outlast any new bearings I put on... he then changed out my pinion bearing and pressed my new bearings on my new posi for $25 in like 5min... that guy is bad ass!!! I鈥檓 glad to have met him... I hope one day someone will read this who needs work around Stockton and use him... however I like to learn and do my own work so moving on to setting the preload on my crush sleeve. I have to google that... lol just found this sight with good info.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... I鈥檓 so confused.. excuse my ignorance... first picture is what I ordered... says it鈥檚 a Posi... second is what I received today... it says limitedslip differential... so is that the same thing? Part numbers match...

Registered
Ok... I鈥檓 so confused.. excuse my ignorance... first picture is what I ordered... says it鈥檚 a Posi... second is what I received today... it says limitedslip differential... so is that the same thing? Part numbers match... View attachment 136428 View attachment 136429
Yes, A limited slip unit allows the rear wheels to turn at different speeds in a "limited" fashion. This is what you usually use on the street. The springs inside the unit can be changed out to allow more or less "slip". In a drag car you might find a spool or other type differential which forces both wheels to spin at the same speed all the time. Not good on the street where you might drive through a McDonald's drive through and want the inside wheel on those super tight turns to be able to spin more slowly than the outside wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts