Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 67 GTO that’s been converted with a brake booster and front disc brakes. The rear is still drum. I want to replace the booster, master cylinder, brake lines and distribution valve but don’t know what parts to search for since it has been pieces together. Can anyone guide me where and how to look? Or is it as simple as searching for 1967 GTO parts.. don’t know if this was an option or someone needed to source these parts from another vehicle. Thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
7,373 Posts
I have a 67 GTO that’s been converted with a brake booster and front disc brakes. The rear is still drum. I want to replace the booster, master cylinder, brake lines and distribution valve but don’t know what parts to search for since it has been pieces together. Can anyone guide me where and how to look? Or is it as simple as searching for 1967 GTO parts.. don’t know if this was an option or someone needed to source these parts from another vehicle. Thanks!

Jegs and others have them. Proportioning valve is located different, but assume you could swap the new with your old.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
2,339 Posts
not on 67
to me it looks like
someone incorporated a 71 ish disc set up with that style combination/distribution block on the frame..and thats what we did in the day and still can ,,, but to look more original
as you can see by the brass fittings between block and lines ,,, needed converting 67 drum lines to 71 72 disc
I would order 1969 booster and 69 master cylinder 67 stay off valve because its on the engine side stud of the master ,only year.. 68-70 on the drivers side,,,
67 disc brake lines from the master to the 67 valve and valve to new smaller 67-70 distribution block on the frame ... same as drum brake

the 69 pudgy round master cylinder looks very similar to the 67
using 2 loop straps for lid and all round corners ....
not the flat sided 70's square style like you have,,

Scott

· Registered
7,373 Posts
Yes your frame location is stock. However, your set-up is missing the metering valve (also called a "hold-off valve). Look at the diagram up in the upper right corner View B. The metering valve is below the master. Much needed with front disc brakes to prevent the front disc brakes from locking up before the rear drum brakes are applied. The metering valve delays the brake application just enough to give the rear drums a chance to apply the brakes before the discs. In the event of a panic stop, the fronts can lock up and put the car into a skid without it. Inline Tube does sell them and you could also get all new lines needed to plumb it in and then the line going from the valve to the proportioning valve.

Read my post on brakes and read the first post about Metering valves and why. Also note that the disc brake MC uses a 1 1/8 bore piston versus a 1" bore piston - more volume. So you may want to contact Inline Tube and see if they can hook you up with the correct components? Not sure what disc calipers you have. Is it factory or aftermarket? That might be needed to get all the correct parts. Don't know if you have had any issues with the braking as is or you are just looking to swap out to newer?

Organism Font Art Motor vehicle Drawing

Sports equipment Fashion accessory Auto part Automotive lighting Plastic

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes your frame location is stock. However, your set-up is missing the metering valve (also called a "hold-off valve). Look at the diagram up in the upper right corner View B. The metering valve is below the master. Much needed with front disc brakes to prevent the front disc brakes from locking up before the rear drum brakes are applied. The metering valve delays the brake application just enough to give the rear drums a chance to apply the brakes before the discs. In the event of a panic stop, the fronts can lock up and put the car into a skid without it. Inline Tube does sell them and you could also get all new lines needed to plumb it in and then the line going from the valve to the proportioning valve.

Read my post on brakes and read the first post about Metering valves and why. Also note that the disc brake MC uses a 1 1/8 bore piston versus a 1" bore piston - more volume. So you may want to contact Inline Tube and see if they can hook you up with the correct components? Not sure what disc calipers you have. Is it factory or aftermarket? That might be needed to get all the correct parts. Don't know if you have had any issues with the braking as is or you are just looking to swap out to newer?

View attachment 161206

View attachment 161207
Interesting and great info as always! I’m actually dealing with in-line tube now and they asked where the distribution valve was or if I even had one. I’ll make sure I mention this info to them when chatting tomorrow. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts