Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my fathers 1967 Gto sitting in my garage.

I was able to get it running (but it can use a good tune up). Some small issues that I know about: what appears to be a leak (reddish color) under driver side front, needs new tires, there is a wiring issue (small shock when you beep the horn), minimal rust, slight leak in trunk (it has been garage / barn kept).

I do not even know where to start with selling it, as I have had a few people say they are interested but don’t come through. I have looked online and rated what I think it is worth.

mostly I want someone that will enjoy it and not just let it sit (as I am I unfortunately doing)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car Engine Automotive engine part Automotive fuel system Nut Fuel line

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I have my fathers 1967 Gto sitting in my garage.

I was able to get it running (but it can use a good tune up). Some small issues that I know about: what appears to be a leak (reddish color) under driver side front, needs new tires, there is a wiring issue (small shock when you beep the horn), minimal rust, slight leak in trunk (it has been garage / barn kept).

I do not even know where to start with selling it, as I have had a few people say they are interested but don’t come through. I have looked online and rated what I think it is worth.

mostly I want someone that will enjoy it and not just let it sit (as I am I unfortunately doing) View attachment 139218 View attachment 139219 View attachment 139218 View attachment 139219
View attachment 139220 View attachment 139222 View attachment 139223 View attachment 139224 View attachment 139225
You need to include a price with the listing. How much?

·
Premium Member
1972 Pontiac Lemans GTO
1,117 Posts
Dryer that is a good one to have ,if I had the garage space I would definitely have her

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trying to find out what would be fair.

I have tried to find an appraiser out here to make sure EVERYONE is getting a fair deal on this, but even that has fallen through

I see the average is $42,000, but I know there are some issues (listed) so would have to ask closer to $38,000.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s been in my garage for almost 2 years now.... might still be here longer if you ever get the space

·
Registered
397 Posts
Trying to find out what would be fair.

I have tried to find an appraiser out here to make sure EVERYONE is getting a fair deal on this, but even that has fallen through

I see the average is $42,000, but I know there are some issues (listed) so would have to ask closer to $38,000.
Ive been looking around for a couple years for a 65-67 and am pretty knowledgeable of prices. I had a 67 until 5 years ago.I think for an auto your a bit high maybe not. But I do notice the autos dont sell nearly as fast or as high. Good luck. Oh I bought a 65 MT on 12/23/2020 $33,600 on Ebay it needs a bunch of minor stuff. I hope to do myself and with the help of folks here. Of course nothing is minor to me/ carpenter unless its a building:).
This is the best!! DR

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yo should take the time and check if it is all original , if it is that would be a fair price and it should sell.
as far as I know it is mostly original. My dad did add seatbelts, and an 8 track player (I even have the 8 tracks)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Internet or Youtube is best less confusing but the VIN and the numbers by the distributor should match. The ones by the dist are hard to see. Need good lighting thats for sure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Internet or Youtube is best less confusing but the VIN and the numbers by the distributor should match. The ones by the dist are hard to see. Need good lighting thats for sure.
Do what? You state the #'s by the dist. and the VIN should match? NO, NO , NO. The numbers by the distributor are an engine casting # and date code. They have NOTHING to do with the VIN. In 67 (and earlier) the numbers on the front of the block have NOTHING to do with the VIN. The #'s on the data plate have NOTHING to do with the VIN. The only way to be sure a 67 has the born with engine is to either have the original protect o plate (attached to the warranty booklet) or PHS paperwork. In 67 the PHS billing card will have the EUN(engine unit number) that is stamped on the front of the passenger side of the block. The protect o plate will have the EUN and the VIN.

This is the problem with the internet and some of these forums. Someone posts incorrect information and at least it confuses folks, at most it could cause someone to lose 10's of thousands of dollars on a purchase.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been watching the GTO market for over 40 years. Best to throw all the 'price guides' out the window. They are usually made for and by banks and insurance companies to justify the values they put on the cars for policies and loans.

By far the best way to get a real world value on a GTO is to follow Mecum and the smaller auctions. Do NOT value your car by Barrett Jackson prices. The majority of the cars that go through the auctions are what dealers call 'front line ready', Fresh paint, interior, mechanics and the engine compartment is completely detailed. Those 67's are selling in the 35-40k price range (after deducting for the sellers %).

I can't tell from your Dad's car about the paint, especially it being white. The interior looks ok, but needs a lot of freshening. And the engine and trunk need complete detailing. This work could cost 10's of thousands of dollars if you can't do a lot of it yourself. And of course you mention other issues that need addressing.

Personally the with the fact it is the base engine with an automatic tranny, I would put a real world value at 25-30k without seeing it. If you could get someone to pay 35k I would be pleased. JMHO

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been watching the GTO market for over 40 years. Best to throw all the 'price guides' out the window. They are usually made for and by banks and insurance companies to justify the values they put on the cars for policies and loans.

By far the best way to get a real world value on a GTO is to follow Mecum and the smaller auctions. Do NOT value your car by Barrett Jackson prices. The majority of the cars that go through the auctions are what dealers call 'front line ready', Fresh paint, interior, mechanics and the engine compartment is completely detailed. Those 67's are selling in the 35-40k price range (after deducting for the sellers %).

I can't tell from your Dad's car about the paint, especially it being white. The interior looks ok, but needs a lot of freshening. And the engine and trunk need complete detailing. This work could cost 10's of thousands of dollars if you can't do a lot of it yourself. And of course you mention other issues that need addressing.

Personally the with the fact it is the base engine with an automatic tranny, I would put a real world value at 25-30k without seeing it. If you could get someone to pay 35k I would be pleased. JMHO
Thank you. I know I am just guessing at the price (it is only worth what someone will pay for it).
I have basic knowledge of how to do the detailing, and when it warms up I will do what I feel comfortable doing.
Looking more into it, I think the original color was not white (looks like possibly goldish?).

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Thank you. I know I am just guessing at the price (it is only worth what someone will pay for it).
I have basic knowledge of how to do the detailing, and when it warms up I will do what I feel comfortable doing.
Looking more into it, I think the original color was not white (looks like possibly goldish?).
I loved that gold color in 67. Was it Champagne mist? I don't recall the exact name but someone here will know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I am willing to work on the price with someone if they are truest going to appreciate the car like my dad did.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts