Pontiac GTO Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Thank you. I know I am just guessing at the price (it is only worth what someone will pay for it).
I have basic knowledge of how to do the detailing, and when it warms up I will do what I feel comfortable doing.
Looking more into it, I think the original color was not white (looks like possibly goldish?).
Take a picture of the Data Plate on the firewall. It won't reveal the serial number or anything you don't want other's t get. The Data Tag can be deciphered and provide a lot of info that other's can use here to help you.

The plant it was manufactured at, the exterior color, interior color, and options can be found on the tag.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Take a picture of the Data Plate on the firewall. It won't reveal the serial number or anything you don't want other's t get. The Data Tag can be deciphered and provide a lot of info that other's can use here to help you.

The plant it was manufactured at, the exterior color, interior color, and options can be found on the tag.
I need a spring thatnholds the window handle interior, I dont see them listed on Ames I wilol call tomorrow if anyone hasone or 5 I will pay for any
Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
It looks to me like it needs a complete restoration. It all depends on how much rust it actually has. It takes an experienced person to make that determination. To an untrained eye, they all look like they have minimal rust when sometimes they actually have major rust issues that take a bunch of work to repair correctly.
I have to go against the grain here and say I think the car is worth in the $15K range. Give or take depending on actual amount of rust.

Reactions: armyadarkness

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It looks to me like it needs a complete restoration. It all depends on how much rust it actually has. It takes an experienced person to make that determination. To an untrained eye, they all look like they have minimal rust when sometimes they actually have major rust issues that take a bunch of work to repair correctly.
I have to go against the grain here and say I think the car is worth in the $15K range. Give or take depending on actual amount of rust.
thank you for your insight. I do have the car listed with “best offer”.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,516 Posts
I've tried to help you zero in on the pricing before... I've had three 67's, two that I built and one that I inherited "done". I have to say, with the engine compartment and chrome in that shape, I think you should be looking for buyers in the $25k range.

The economy for this stuff is fairly bad now. Restoration parts, engines builds, and labor are way up. So if it needs tires, weatherstripping, hoses, belts, an engine rebuild or detail, control arm bushings, brakes, ujpoints, etc... All of the things that go bad when a car sits... Then a buyer is going to put $15k into it, immediately, just to make it a driver. So at your $38k mark, it would be nearly a 50K deal.

With a frame off resto, that car is likely worth around $55-65k.

Yes, this is just my opinion, but this is coming from a guy who does this every day, all day. OTOH, if somehow none of the rubber has gone bad from sitting, all of the lines and brakes are good, and there's no squirrel living in the motor, then if I were you I would pay a professional to detail the car completely, engine bay and all, and then you could ask $38k and maybe get $32k.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,516 Posts
BTW. I think your car would appeal to the classic car dealerships... They usually clean, paint, sell... and trade!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've tried to help you zero in on the pricing before... I've had three 67's, two that I built and one that I inherited "done". I have to say, with the engine compartment and chrome in that shape, I think you should be looking for buyers in the $25k range.

The economy for this stuff is fairly bad now. Restoration parts, engines builds, and labor are way up. So if it needs tires, weatherstripping, hoses, belts, an engine rebuild or detail, control arm bushings, brakes, ujpoints, etc... All of the things that go bad when a car sits... Then a buyer is going to put $15k into it, immediately, just to make it a driver. So at your $38k mark, it would be nearly a 50K deal.

With a frame off resto, that car is likely worth around $55-65k.

Yes, this is just my opinion, but this is coming from a guy who does this every day, all day. OTOH, if somehow none of the rubber has gone bad from sitting, all of the lines and brakes are good, and there's no squirrel living in the motor, then if I were you I would pay a professional to detail the car completely, engine bay and all, and then you could ask $38k and maybe get $32k.
Thank you

I have had some people come help me price it out based on actually seeing it.

most have told me that asking around $30k is fair. That is where I am looking for now

I am considering having it detailed and driving it around (it does need tires)

I have had the transmission resealed.

I have the parts for the shocks (air system), water pump, and gearbox. Just trying to decide if I want to attempt these replacements and take longer or pay for it to be done so it is done sooner.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,516 Posts
$30 is a fair asking price, and you might get it. The bad thing about trying to sell one here, is that these are the last of the GTO experts. Everyone here knows how much money and work is involved. I would detail it and put it on Auto Trader Classic, for $150. Now is the time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm still sticking with $15K.

I would say the car is between a #4 and #5 condition. Top, top dollar might be $20k but this car is definitely a builder and everyone wanting it will try to get it for $15K. Even less if the the rust is worse than minimal which it may be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
is this still available ? very interested, im a long ways away but with the right pics i might pay for a truck ride.
thx
let me know
todd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
is this still available ? very interested, im a long ways away but with the right pics i might pay for a truck ride.
thx
let me know
todd
I have someone that is coming out to look at it. If he falls through, I will reach out to you.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,516 Posts
What did you get & if you dont mind what is condition and cost. I bought a 65 GTO in Dec 2020 for 34,5k and it looked good until I started digging. Its apart since march will be for probably 6 more months
Lol. At least you're not alone. My car was a $35k, turn key, picturesque, beauty! Which had the wrong firing order, overheated, had no back brakes, seized universals,was missing 3 of the 8 front suspension bushings, and carb linkage was smashed up against a heat sheild, which cased it to stick wide open. This is why GTO value questions are so hard to accurately address. If you pay $35k for a car, it can cost you $10k over night, just to get it driving. Not many people would spend six months of going through Hell, fixing someone elses mystery problems, when for the same money they could buy a 4 year old rotisserie resto.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mines a 65 conv clone, very nicely done with pro touring suspension, very nice paint, rust free etc.
interior looks perfect has budnick wheels and cold air for close to 40k

·
Registered
397 Posts
Lol. At least you're not alone. My car was a $35k, turn key, picturesque, beauty! Which had the wrong firing order, overheated, had no back brakes, seized universals,was missing 3 of the 8 front suspension bushings, and carb linkage was smashed up against a heat sheild, which cased it to stick wide open. This is why GTO value questions are so hard to accurately address. If you pay $35k for a car, it can cost you $10k over night, just to get it driving. Not many people would spend six months of going through Hell, fixing someone elses mystery problems, when for the same money they could buy a 4 year old rotisserie resto.
wow I feel better all I can say is dont buy off Ebay. Thats where I bought he car. I just got an valley pan from Ebay for $110 it was painted looked good, I got it the paint was 1/8" thick so I removed all the prime & paint, its pitted, so now Im filling the pits sanding then prime and paint. That Ebay is full of crooks, or at least borderline dishonest

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
472 Posts
wow I feel better all I can say is dont buy off Ebay. Thats where I bought he car. I just got an valley pan from Ebay for $110 it was painted looked good, I got it the paint was 1/8" thick so I removed all the prime & paint, its pitted, so now Im filling the pits sanding then prime and paint. That Ebay is full of crooks, or at least borderline dishonest
If it looks nice its probably a pig with lipstick. I like the dirty and untouched.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts