Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 GTO trying to remove the horn assembly to see why the horns don't work. Can someone please tell me how to remove this so I don't break anything. Thanks

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,033 Posts
Assuming that you have the stock horns in the stock location, you lay on the ground, under the front bumper, reach up there and unbolt them. All the while, crap will be falling in your eye's, and I hope you have long arms. It's not too difficult... but the crap in the eyes thing is always fun.

However, I would unplug the wire harness at the horns, plug in a test light, and honk the horn, first. If it lights, then you know for sure that the problem is in the horn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 1967 GTO trying to remove the horn assembly to see why the horns don't work. Can someone please tell me how to remove this so I don't break anything. Thanks
Sorry I worded this wrong. I tested the horns under the car. They work.. I meant to say how to remove the horn assembly on the steering wheel. I have the energy absorbing type. I don' t want to Pry and break anything. Hope someone can help me. Thanks

·
Registered
1967 400ci/TH400
116 Posts
Here is a good thread from GTO Forum.....watch out for those pesky 4 tiny springs....https://www.gtoforum.com/threads/1967-gto-cancel-cam-for-turn-signal-non-tilt-column.139010/#post-915614

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Service manual would come in handy here. You're correct in being careful since the 67-68 steering columns are different from any other.

Before opening up the steering wheel check the relay first.

The horn system works through a horn relay mounted on the firewall. The 67 relay has three terminals.
1. 12 volt battery supply (Red wire)
2. Ground lead that runs to the steering wheel horn switch (green wire)
3. 12 volt power lead to the horns. (Black wire)

When you push the horn button you are completing the ground circuit for the relay. Once energized, the relay contact closes and sends power to the horn. Very simple circuit.
To test the relay, apply a jumper wire from a carbody ground to the relay ground terminal (green wire). If the horn works, then the problem probably is in the steering wheel.
If not the relay may be bad or miswired. With a voltmeter confirm you have 12 volts at the relay. If you have power then the relay is bad.

BB81FD9C-CB76-4BE1-8EB0-34B8980A044B_1_105_c.jpeg

Let us know your results.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Should be between the master cylinder and the hood hinge

EF3DE9F3-1FF2-4048-8A30-C70FA2C512AF.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the cover off. I see the contact piece is missing. will look again for horn relay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've searched high and low, NO horn relay. Where do I get power on the directional switch, Looks like the green wire. Can I jump any wires on the directional switch to see if the switch is bad.I don't seem to have power there.. please help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've searched high and low, NO horn relay. Where do I get power on the directional switch, Looks like the green wire. Can I jump any wires on the directional switch to see if the switch is bad.I don't seem to have power there.. please help.
Here are some pictures maybe this will help someone help me. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,033 Posts
You're kind of going about it the hard way. As Ed mentioned, the horn wire to the switch in the column, is a ground, so "powering it up" is a world championship, bad idea. If you have no relay, then that's probably why the horn isnt working.

Are there loose plugs in the area where the relay should be?
How long have you owned the car?
Did the horn ever work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just bought the car 2 weeks ago. I don't see any loose wires by the wiper motor or firewall. Looks to me that the wires go from the horns to the fire wall plug. Looked under the dash can't find anything. Where would the power lead RED WIRE I assume originate from, maybe I can trace it back from there. Also where does this piece go in the directional switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Service manual would come in handy here. You're correct in being careful since the 67-68 steering columns are different from any other.

Before opening up the steering wheel check the relay first.

The horn system works through a horn relay mounted on the firewall. The 67 relay has three terminals.
1. 12 volt battery supply (Red wire)
2. Ground lead that runs to the steering wheel horn switch (green wire)
3. 12 volt power lead to the horns. (Black wire)

When you push the horn button you are completing the ground circuit for the relay. Once energized, the relay contact closes and sends power to the horn. Very simple circuit.
To test the relay, apply a jumper wire from a carbody ground to the relay ground terminal (green wire). If the horn works, then the problem probably is in the steering wheel.
If not the relay may be bad or miswired. With a voltmeter confirm you have 12 volts at the relay. If you have power then the relay is bad.

View attachment 143172

Let us know your results.
I would like to jump in if I may?
O52, in what manual are these color wiring diagrams? I will definitely add it to my library.

OP thanks for letting me butt in.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
67 Factory service manual. I don't have one so I can't tell you if they're originally in color or not. The schematics I do have, I got off the web

BC285779-59F0-4E6C-8B79-54F9CD9BEFD6_1_201_a.jpeg 7320EC59-2A94-42AB-9B7B-12174B48CD6D_1_201_a.jpeg A4C2305E-9063-4F62-BEFE-C03FE400701E_1_105_c.jpeg BB81FD9C-CB76-4BE1-8EB0-34B8980A044B_1_105_c.jpeg 32C9BF2C-9A97-4F06-BBAD-9E9EC9B53C7C_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Well since you jumped the gun regarding the signal switch I'll repeat what Army said. No Relay, No Horn.
DO NOT POWER UP THE GREEN WIRE! IT IS A GROUND!

The red striped power wire is part of the engine harness and is internally spliced to the alternator output wire.
The black horn wire is in the the front lighting harness.
The green wire to the switch enters the interior through the firewall plug

Send a picture of the area between the master cylinder and hood hinge.

The 67/68 column requires disassembly to R/R the signal switch and its a PIA to reinstall. There are hidden springs and a threaded collar that holds everything together. Which is why I didn't want you to take it apart unless you had to.

This is the subassembly to R/R the signal switch

A5BFECC3-CBD3-49A6-91B1-66AB1BF69D42_1_201_a.jpeg

This is the assembled subassembly.

F0355D0A-1AF6-46ED-B869-ED9A5F32A0A7_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Something else I see, or don't see. There should be wires from each horn button on the steering wheel feeding through the hub to the horn contact.

B8F43443-A472-4505-A3C0-01FE6B62DBB5_1_201_a.jpeg

4B4B79BF-F551-4118-A121-6CC73FB48272.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are some pictures. There are no wires coming Out of the steering wheel. The horn buttons on the steering wheel just bolt up.I see what you meant about the directional switch, what a PITA to reassembly it. I've ordered a wiring diagram for the car. I guess I will have to cut the harness open to see what's going on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts