Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
You need the wires. Take the chrome spokes off the wheel and see if they've been cut. May have to find some on eBay.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
You need the wires. Take the chrome spokes off the wheel and see if they've been cut.

This is what you'll find when you cut open the engine harness

tempImageiabqsJ.png

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,033 Posts
And again, I'd be very leery about jumping the gun on this. Most 55-year old cars need plenty of money to keep them running, on their own, without us helping them along. If you start randomly disassembling switches and snipping wires, you may quickly find yourself spending $700, to repair a horn, which needed nothing more than a simple repair.

If you've only had the car two weeks, I'd go over the whole thing and make a list of what you need and what you want.

1. Are you doing a full resto? If so, to all original?
  2. Was it already restored?
You can add an aftermarket horn, in 30 minutes, for $25... which works great for a driver car, which needs a horn. You can spend three months and $1000 restoring it to stock, if the car is going to be entered in shows. So it's important to have a plan, before you begin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I got the directional switch assembly back together.Installing it on the column I get it down so far but not far enough to turn it into position so the flasher and directional line up. What do I have to do to compress it more so I can turn it into position.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
You need to back off the three spring loaded screws. Three turns only to preload the springs. See my photo above. This will give you the necessary gap to press and turn the assembly. Once installed, then tighten the screws

Take a look at these photos of the horn switch spokes. This is what you should have. (Photos are from a 68, the 67 has three horn buttons)
These spokes are currently on Ebay. The switches are not available new or as a reproduction.

57FA038F-7C5F-46BC-9C7D-DE09C12E4728.jpeg

AC9091CC-5917-4F55-BA88-593E0C30C579.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Thanks JR. I missed that by a mile.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts