Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where SHOULD the pair of original 1967 Pontiac GTO horns be physically located within the engine compartment? I am looking to purchase a new pair of horns (original style horn kit pair, including universal mounting brackets and hardware) from Ames Performance Engineering (item M230 on page 160 of their 2011 catalog), but I am not sure exactly where they should be mounted within the engine compartment. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much, 05GTO!!! Could you possibly suggest a good diagram I can reference, or photos? I still have not received my shop manuals.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Neither of my factory horns make a sound, but when I press the steering wheel buttons, I get a click. To me, that means the problem lies between the relay and the horns themself. My front end looks to be original, like it's never been apart. It's extremely tight in there, is there a 'good' way to access the horns. I've got small hands, but do I still have to pull half the front end off? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
FYI universal mounting brackets will not fit correctly on the 67, so horns will not be positioned at the right angles. horns come out below the bumper, but no need since wires are at the top of core support.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Neither of my factory horns make a sound, but when I press the steering wheel buttons, I get a click. To me, that means the problem lies between the relay and the horns themself. My front end looks to be original, like it's never been apart. It's extremely tight in there, is there a 'good' way to access the horns. I've got small hands, but do I still have to pull half the front end off? Thanks!!!
No, you can remove them from the bottom without disassembling anything.
Once you have them out you can test them with jumpers off of the battery.
There is also a screw to adjust the tone.
Mine were not very loud but after cleaning and adjusting they now emit a pretty good blast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts