Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
What's the chance that we would both have '67 coupes with paint code K and no console!! Where are you located? I'm near Houston. We should get a side by side photo one day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wow your car is beautiful! I'm located in Cincinnati Ohio so it would be quite the long haul for either of us as I've made the drive to college station a couple of times and it was 1100 miles and 16 hours. I agree that we should get pictures side by side but with how the winters are here, that may have to wait until spring or summer time next year!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Your car looks good with the vinyl top! The color combination works well. Now my car on the other hand had a Ivory (white) painted roof and light blue! If it was a black painted roof or vinyl top I wouldn't mind it so much haha.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
1967 GTO POST CAR WITH 3 speed

New to this site.... I have a 1967 GTO post coupe, with a ford Dearborn 3 speed. Original 400, 335 h.p. I have had the car for 30 years. A Dr. Bought the car in67, he lived behind my grandparents and I remember him driving it and the rumbling of the engine as he shifted gears, as I was just a kid. I dreamed of owning the car. When I turned 16, he put it up for sale, well my father bought it!!! My dream came true!! My father paid $500.00!!!! Pretty unbelievable. I have all the paperwork from when he bought it down to the build sheet. It is original starlight black with RED interior!! I have PHS documentation, came with NO POWER BRAKES, DRUMS... NO POWER STEERING, JUST A BASE GTO. Over the years I have put power steering on it, disc power brakes. It has 86,000 original miles on it!! I tell people about the 3 speed and they look at me crazy!!! And they really can't believe it's a ford transmission!!! Anyway I'm curios about how many 3 speed post cars were built in 1967, also how many were black with the RED INTERIOR??? seems pretty rare..... It is a console car, as I said everything is original except for the power steering and power disc brakes. Numbers matching car!!! Any ideas??? Thanks for any info, Mike.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Don't have the info you need (I bet PinionHead does) but, Man, are you ever a lucky dude!!! Take good care of that car!! So many of the 3 speeds were converted to 4 speeds, you have a rare car! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Don't believe Fred Simmonds ever broke the production numbers down on the '67 GTO Coupes. He DEF didnt break the production numbers down by ext color & interior color. The only thing he did that on was the early SD cars & the '69 & 70 RAIV TransAms.

Suffice it to say, any '67 GTO that was factory black with a red interior is very rare. Have only ran across three '67 GTO's I can remember going back 30 years that were that color combo, & two were converts.

On '67 GTO Post cars, maybe it's an anomaly, but I have picked parts off a BUNCH of 67 GTO Posts in southern, Southwester, & central plains US yards that were factory 400 2bbl ecomomy option cars, still had the original engines in them with the large deep stamped engine ID code. Each were column shift auto, with either bench or buckets, but no console. everyone of them had PS, factory AC, AM radio, that's about it. Def ordered for dealer stock to be cheap entry level cars.

On '67 projects, have owned two '67 GTO Post cars. a Montego cream/signet gold painted roof auto AC 400 (YS engine) car , & a documented Linden Green bench seat 400 HO, auto on the column with factory rally guages & 4piston disc brakes. Enough of an oddball, looking back, wish I'd kept it. One of my best friends is currently restoring a documented '67 400 HO WV engined 4spd Coupe, CA delivered car & West coast owned til 4 years ago. Still has complete factory smog pump setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1967 GTO 3 speed, post coupe/ Black with Red interior

Thanks pinion head, I knew it was a rare car. I've owned it for 30 years, and have no plans of selling it. I have been to many car shows over the years and I have NEVER seen a post car with a 3 speed especially Black with Red interior. Like I said I've done some upgrades, power disc brakes, power steering, but I have also kept all the original parts that were replaced. It is a numbers matching car,with 87,000 miles on it. I own a paint and body shop in Savannah, Ga. So I'm in the process of repainting it. Anyway thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I'm new to this forum, but I'm addicted to it now......

·
Registered
64 Posts
The post is old but adding my two cents anyway. Mine is also post car with the the Dearborn tranny. Plum mist, no console, standard steering and standard brakes. The PHS info looks exactly like the order sheet that my dad filled out in December 1966. The only option is a power antenna. She was shipped to Germany, as my dad was in Canadian Airforce, directly from Pontiac Michigan. I inherited the car from him in 2005 and made it driveable and have been working on it since. The tranny and standard items were cheaper but also weight savers as was the post body style.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The post is old but adding my two cents anyway. Mine is also post car with the the Dearborn tranny. Plum mist, no console, standard steering and standard brakes. The PHS info looks exactly like the order sheet that my dad filled out in December 1966. The only option is a power antenna. She was shipped to Germany, as my dad was in Canadian Airforce, directly from Pontiac Michigan. I inherited the car from him in 2005 and made it driveable and have been working on it since. The tranny and standard items were cheaper but also weight savers as was the post body style. View attachment 142445
Old thread indeed but made good reading for me anyway....since I have/hado_O a 67 plum mist post with a 3 speed dearborn and no console,manual drum brakes all around. NOW I have the same 67 post in wimbledon white with a slight gold pearl mist to slightly match my parchment interior, 4 wheel disc brakes, 3 speed dearborn w/ Hurst shifter, and will add a console someday. By the way.... if anyone has a rebuilt 3 speed dearborn or can rebuild one let me know. Second gear syncro is somewhat worn.
Screenshot_20180420-220338_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Old thread indeed but made good reading for me anyway....since I have/hado_O a 67 plum mist post with a 3 speed dearborn and no console,manual drum brakes all around. NOW I have the same 67 post in wimbledon white with a slight gold pearl mist to slightly match my parchment interior, 4 wheel disc brakes, 3 speed dearborn w/ Hurst shifter, and will add a console someday. By the way.... if anyone has a rebuilt 3 speed dearborn or can rebuild one let me know. Second gear syncro is somewhat worn. View attachment 142454
Sir, that is a really sharp ride.

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
297 Posts
This is the instruction I was given with my rebuild kit for my toploader.

·
Registered
690 Posts

Have you attempted your rebuild yet? So 3 and 4 speeds are close to the same scope in the process?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Very few Youtube videos detailing the three speed toploader but lots for the four speed. They are basically the same transmission. I haven't rebuilt mine yet since it was working fine when removed twenty years ago. From what I have seen they're fairly easy to do but follow the service manual. Theres a few set screws that need to be removed before the internals can be taken out.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts