Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1967 GTO Post Restroration

3K views 48 replies 11 participants last post by  goat671 
#1 ·
I thought I would share the progress on my 67 GTO.
I have had this car for 20 plus years I started by doing the frame and the front suspension fuel and brake lines and then I left it for 20 years.
Well I am going to get it finished.

It will be Mariner Turquoise inside and out.
Original paint was two tone Cameo Ivory with a Gold top and a Gold Interior.
Frame sandblasted and POR 15
Front and rear suspension Hotchkis purchased many years ago.
The front spindles and discs from a mid 70s F Body Koni shocks
I am going to send it out to the Hotrod Factory to be painted. Here are some photos as it sits today.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Hood

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Steering wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi goat671.

Glad to hear you’re still at it and plan to finish it. The car looks to be in great shape, with original paint in many places and factory pinstripe.

I’m sure the turquoise will look great. It would also look nice with the original color combination. You don’t see many white/gold/gold.

Do you have the original drivetrain?

Keep the progress pictures coming.

Cheers

#4 ·
I know the two tone white/gold/gold is rare but it is not what I am after. If the car was a survivor level I would have kept it but it needs paint bad it has been over sprayed with what looks like appliance rattle can. Interior needs to be replaced also so I can go the way I want to go.
It is a numbers matching vehicle.
It is a California car I purchased almost 30 years ago. The car has one area of rust thru and I bet you all know where it is, the image of the rear pass floor is a hint.
So yea the rear window channel needs a hole patched but that is it now rust thru any where else.
Trunk has 80% of original paint and looks real good. Under the spare it has surface rust which I had removed.
Floor pans as you can see are really in good shape.
Quarters and inner wheel wells are nice with no rust and still original under coating.
I had purchased back when you could still buy GM parts the front fenders so they are new GM parts
The engine original and is complete with AC and AIR system. I had to pull heads due to me not plugging the head where the AIR system injected the air and a mouse found its way to a cylinder to make a home no damage done thank goodness.
Original Turbo 400 I will get to overdrive either with Gear Vendors or with a 2004R from California Performance Transmission
Original rear diff had open diff 2.93 gears now 3.36 Nitro Gears with Yukon Posi
Previous work I completed before I put it on hold:
Body off frame. Frame sandblasted and POR 15.
New Fuel and Brake lines stainless
Hotchkis Upper A arms at the time this is all they had.
Spindles from mid 70s F Body custom lower Ball joint.
OMG sized solid front sway bar again old product now are hollow lighter weight.
All new front end pieces from tie rods to center link
Rear suspension Hotchkis upper and lower control arms and sway bar all new bushings again old products this was before they had the adjustable pieces.
Koni shocks all around.

The shop I am taking it to does not mess around. The car will be disassembled body off frame and media blasted completely down to metal.

Here is a link to more photos than you care to see I used this to show shops what I have and to get estimates.
My 67 GTO

#6 ·
For the longest time I thought my 67's original color was one of the lighter metallic greens. I'm not sure how I made the mistake since the appearing original interior was blue. Light Green exterior with dark blue interior...Can you say "puke"! At any rate, it was going back to that color since the car had most of its numbers...was I glad to find out I mis-disifered the exterior color. It should be Tyrol Blue. I fretted over that light green/blue color combo for years for no reason.

If I had your car...it'd go back to original colors. Certainly not the first color combo to come to mind for a build, but still very striking! Note: I might stray to a black interior.

#7 ·
Yea that is an option but why so it matches the data plate? This is not a concourse restoration it is a car that I am going to drive and drive hard. It is not being restored to complete original specs as you can see by the things already done. I am not building this for a future sale I am building it for me the way I want it.

#9 ·
Don't take me wrong, it's your car and do with it what you want. The fact that it's not got most of its numbers would allow me to go with the color that I would like. More power to you! Luckily, I like Tyrol Blue...I may make it a shade or two darker...don't tell the concourse gods...lol.

#15 ·
My wife and I went to talk to Rich at the Hot Rod Factory about the process of getting the car repainted and took a tour of his facilities.
Rich explained the process and what we could expect in the amount of time and money it was going to be.
I had told Rich that the car was in very good condition and was pretty much rust free he told me he had heard that before.....
Well his comment was it is a clean car and in solid condition, further he said it is getting impossible to find a car in this condition anymore and he looked forward to working on it.
Well we left him a check that will get it disassembled blasted and depending on what he finds a painted floor pan and rust repair the only place he found and I told him about was driver said rear window.

My wife asked how long it was going to take and I was somewhat surprised by the answer of 1 to 2 years.... But he said it all depends on what he finds when the car is stripped and what I want him to do and if we get stuck waiting on parts etc...

On the way home my wife said I should have done this sooner I agreed, it was a big step and a costly one but when I watch that commercial selling the Jeep Grand Cherokee for $89,999 I smile because I am going to be driving something that I love much more than a Jeep.

Now I need to get the engine sorted and some trim pieces ordered we agreed it does not make sense to try and fix the existing wheel trim for what you can get the repos for..
He needs the trim to assure proper fit when working with the body spacing and lines.

I have decided I am going to box the frame and so I need to get the kit to him after he boxes the frame I will get it home so I can install the engine and tranny and get it back to him to reunite with the body.

If Rich posts images to his Web Site I will link to them here.

#16 ·
What a great starting point! I wish mine had had half the good sheet metal as yours. And the underside of your deck lid is incredible. Glad you're finally able to get it to the shop and I hope it comes back everything you want it to be.

#26 ·
Well it is going to be Mariner Turquoise paint and interior the original combo just does not appeal to me.
Also I have decided to go with the 66 rocker trim as I find the 67 trim just to much I know some of you will disapprove but I have decide to build this for me not the guy who is going to get it after me. Which may never happen as I am going to give it to my daughter.

#35 ·
The body lines and fitment look pretty good I think. I need to go out and see it in person. Not sure why the passenger rear rocker panel was worked on there was not any rust that I had seen. But I am sure they had their reasons.