Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, car arrived two weeks ago. Much better than expected since it's ebay purchase.

All original car. Never touched except few rattle can touch up's. lol
Engine is out, disassembled and in machine shop. Plan is to go 20 over with cylinders, 4bbl intake and carb, disc brakes, manual trans etc.
Parts are already here so I,m waiting for machine shop guys to be done. I have big pile of everything new around engine.
Few patch panels, couple of dents and car will go, probably, dark metallic green. It'll be fun project so stick around.
Oh yeah, and I'm doing everything myself since I build hot rods for a living.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Looks very nice, a great project car. If you built rods for a living, this should be an easy, fun project. I assume your LeMans has a Pontiac 350 that you will be rebuilding. Are you going with a 4-speed or something with O/D?

Keep us posted on your project, pics are always appreciated!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine is original 326 with original powerglide. Machine shop guy called me with great news that everything will clear with .20 over.
You have a point Pinion head. I looked up online and I couldn't find .20 over pistons. I did look for 10min lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Engine is original 326 with original powerglide.

This helpful tip may or may not be relevant for your build.

The two-speed transmission in your car is not a powerglide, it is a Super Turbine 300 (ST300).

Completely different unit. It's actually a quite nice unit. You might be surprised how well the cars run and drive with only a two speed transmission.

Good luck with your build, keep us updated with pictures!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh thank you for the info. Guy that sold the car said it's all original with two speed automatic. i just assumed it's powerglide as I'm not mechanic or american :D My thing is metal shaping, body and paint. I'll talk to my transmission guy and see what he can do for me with this one.
Here is a picture so thread doesn't get all text :)

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Very nice..looks like a great project car. El Monte Slim had good advice, before spending $$$ on the trans, try the ST300 to see how you like it. It's uniqueness may win you over. If, however, it does not win you over, a BOP TH350 is an easy swap to replace it.

My brother had an ST300 in a '65 Olds 442, but he tired of it and put in a TH400 which he loved. Anyway, like paint--it's your car, your choice.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Glad to see you keeping the 326 as most don't. The 326/285 HP was the "HO" version.

I see the "scallops" cut into the top edge of the cylinders. Was this factory or did your machinist do this for the installation of larger valves?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, those ''scallops'' were there from factory. And heads are open chamber. I think this engine is 250hp non HO version but I also don't know anything about Pontiac engines lol :D
Picture is when I just took it apart.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
OK. Interesting. Do the heads have "061" cast on the middle exhaust port? The valves look a little larger than the standard 1.92" intakes, but it may be the photo. The pocket around the valves also look like they may have been opened up/layed back. The scallops in the block are to allow better flow around the larger intake valve. Open chamber heads did not enter production until 1968 BUT they did off an open chamber head in late 1967 on the big cars, "061" being the casting number. You should have a closed chamber head, #140 for the 250HP or #141 for the 285HP engine.

Post the head ID numbers, because now I am curious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Casting number is 140. I know that 100% unfortunately heads are still in the machine shop so I cant take the picture.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Casting number is 140. I know that 100% unfortunately heads are still in the machine shop so I cant take the picture.
OK. That is the right number for the 250HP engine. Just an interesting combustion chamber combined with the scallop in the block. Never messed around with any 326 engines, but might keep an eye out for one as they do pop up around my area once in a while at reasonable prices.

A former member built up his 1964 326 to the HO specs and added the larger 2.02" valves and did a 3 angle valve job and a few other upgrades. You can listen to the engine by scrolling down to February 3, 2015. At the end of the video is a list of parts. There is also a video with the engine in the car and it being fired up for the first time. Many pics of the engine as well. Sadly, "Grumpy" passed away a few months after he got the car completed. His helper Earl has taken over the business. Grumpy told me he was real pleased with the engine and it had plenty of power for the '64 Lemans. Grumpy had quite a collection of high powered & rare muscle cars, so he knew what power was and liked how the engine turned out. https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Garage-MuscleCars-200941343261937/?ref=hl

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok guys I need help with some parts.
I need to know where to buy valves for '67 326. Apparently guy that should know this, doesn't. I got valves for 400 and up. Now I'm looking to buy it on my own and assemble my engine on my own. I also need harmonic balancer because my original is cracked.
i would really appreciate if somebody who knows this sh** to post some links because I'm tired of chasing ''engine builders'' to do their work right. Thanks in advance.

PS: I was really busy with my other projects so no Lemans update.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Looks a lot better than mine did when it showed up on the flatbed, rocker panels 3' OFF THE GROUND AND A BAKED INTERIOR...GOOD LUCK AND Have fun re-building her, i have a bone stock all original froze up 326 if you need any brackets or such

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
400 CI valves are too large and hit. Butler has them, but confirm with them via an email. Butler is a good source of parts and will let you know what you need and match your parts so you don't get the wrong things and find your engine does not run as well as it could or fails on you.

Butler Performance - Pontiac Valves

·
Registered
1 Posts
67 Lemans

Cool, New here and wanted to say I enjoyed this thread. Where are you at with the project? I am getting set to rebuild my 326 and changing my transmission to a TH400. Just found a core today for a good price. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, New here and wanted to say I enjoyed this thread. Where are you at with the project? I am getting set to rebuild my 326 and changing my transmission to a TH400. Just found a core today for a good price. Thanks!
Thank you ;)
Here is some new update. I'm moving slowly because am so busy with other projects :(
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the best to find a 1967gto project car? This was the first car I owned and I am looking for a project I can sink my teeth into. Thanks for any help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts