Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 GTO convertible with a 400 ci (YS) motor and the his/hers auto. I have been told that's a 350 hp engine. It had what appears to be the original Rochester Quad carb on it, but it has an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. Does anyone know if the 400's were delivered in 1968 with the Edelbrock intake manifold as a stock item?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK guys, since that is the manifold I have would you recommend going to an Edelbrock carb or try to find someone that can tune/rebuild the old Rochester Quad?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
OK guys, since that is the manifold I have would you recommend going to an Edelbrock carb or try to find someone that can tune/rebuild the old Rochester Quad?
The call is yours. Most here will tell you to rebuild the one you have, but it depends on what it will actually need based on what is worn out. I take it you prefer to have it rebuilt and not do this yourself? Most all will recommend Cliff Ruggles when it comes to Q-jets. But, I've heard it could take a year as he seems to always be backed up with work.

Now there are others who rebuild carbs, but you will have to do a web search.

Option 2 is to buy a rebuilt Q-jet for your application. Just make darn sure you get a Pontiac Q-jet and not a Chevy -which is more common and has different linkage and fuel inlet.

Option 3 is the Edelbrock. I have no personal experience I can offer as to whether they are good or bad. Again,same as above in ensuring it will work for a Pontiac.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
If it is running good, just change the fuel filter and keep going. Nothing better than that Qjet for your engine. Maybe a little carb cleaner on the linkages once in awhile. If you need the idle mixer checked, there are folks around that can still dial in a Qjet. Matt

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
The Edelbrock manifold and carb are both downgrades from the stock cast iron manifold and Quadrajet. In both fuel economy and performance.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
:agree: Especially on a relatively stock or even somewhat "enhanced" street engine, there is no aftermarket manifold or carburetor that will perform as well as the factory dual plane cast iron manifold wearing a well set-up Qjet, let alone perform any better...

Bear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts