Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I recently aquired a 1968 firebird that was used on drag strip from the early 70's into the 90's. the guy i bought it from got it from the original racer roughly 13 years agoand it has sat in a barn ever since. it is a 400 factory body but he told me the engine was a 440, not the original for the car. i need help figuring out what the engine really is and when it was made. the numbers on the front of the block are 205763YC. can anyone help me?

·
Registered
319 Posts
You can find out if this is or isn't the original block just by comparing the numbers you have there with the last 6 of the VIN on the car. If it matches it is the original, if it doesn't it's not. The YC is the engine code, which doesn't sound right for a '68 but I am not sure of that. That code will tell you what the engine is out of. There are sights out there to help you decode them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gee, I wish I still had my '68 Firebird 400 H.O. that I bought new from Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac in Michigan. Yes, it had the Royal Bobcat dealer mod, too. Car ran like a raped ape. I never thought it would be worth so much now, though. Saw a Royal Bobcat GTO go across the stage at Mecum, no sale at @ $275,000, lol.
As best I can remember, the Royal Bobcat package included thinner head gaskets, stiffer valve springs, and a better curve on the distributor. Anyone else know more about this option?

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Hey all, I recently aquired a 1968 firebird that was used on drag strip from the early 70's into the 90's. the guy i bought it from got it from the original racer roughly 13 years agoand it has sat in a barn ever since. it is a 400 factory body but he told me the engine was a 440, not the original for the car. i need help figuring out what the engine really is and when it was made. the numbers on the front of the block are 205763YC. can anyone help me?
Google 'Pontiac Engine Codes' for a bunch of sites that will help you figure out what it is. Make sure to begin with the date code near the distributor hole to get the model year first, as that information is important in order to correctly interpret the other codes. (For example, "YC" in 1968 was a 'low performance 400 from a B-body car, "YC' in 71 was a 325 HP 455 also in a B-Body).

Bear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts