Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Does anybody know where to find a 1968 GTO Fuel Tank WITH the filler neck. What company and any information would be appreciated please. I recently had one put in my car because welding and fuel etc are over my pay grade. Iv'e ran the car for about 6 months but recently I parked it on an incline after putting about 3/4 of a tank of fuel, and fuel was seeping out of the filler neck. To get this fixed or re welded would be a problem with fumes etc I think and I'm hesitant to take it back to the same guy who put it in originally. Wouldn't it just be easier to find a new one with filler neck already welded?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
312 Posts
Be advised that shipping damage is a fact of life when shipping tanks with the neck attached and you'll be right back where you started. And if you do buy a new one make sure its at least 20 gallons. Factory was 21.5 gallons.
Some vendors sell the 71/72 tank for 68-72 models and its 17.5 gallons. This is primarily for the 71/72 (70 for California cars) that have the expansion chamber for evaporation emissions.

Take your tank to any old school radiator shop. Fuel tank repair is just like a radiator. The neck is soldered, not welded They'll be able to air out the tank and repair the seam. I pulled the tank out of my El Camino, drained the fuel and flushed it with water then took it to my local shop.

Removing and installing the tank is pretty straight forward. Two long bolts, two wires, and two rubber hoses to disconnect. The hoses are different sizes so you can't mess it up. 15-30 minutes tops.
Just run the car to less than 1/8th tank, drain the fuel after the tank is down and use it in your lawn mower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts