Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The original seal on my 68 GTO split recently and needs replacing. While I don’t believe relevant, it’s a tilt column.

My question is does the seal (rubber boot) slide on from the top once the retaining ring, housing and bearing cups are removed?

In terms of reassembly the Pontiac Service Manual pictures what appears to be on Oetiker clamp placed inside to hold the seal to the shaft. As a related aside, the new rubber boot doesn’t come with a new clamp...

Any tricks to getting the retaining ring back on?

Thanks
5C5EF62D-74D6-437E-A6EB-8995457616A9.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
Wow... I'm getting old I guess (duh). I've replaced that seal/boot on my '69 but it's been long enough ago that I don't remember the procedure. Either you have to use a press to remove that cross pin that the bearing cups ride on, or you have to be able to stretch/cajole the seal over that pin. The 'note' in italics in the service manual seem to indicate that the boot wasn't intended to be replaceable - you had to replace the whole lower shaft. That leaves the problem of the clamp. I'm having a dim light-bulb memory flicker on here --- if I remember right, the replacement seal was a lot thicker/stiffer in the "middle" than the original one so that it can function without that clamp - maybe- Either that or I replaced the original clamp with a small screw type hose clamp that I could open up and install. I know I tried that at some point, I just don't remember if that's how I ended up putting it all back together. Hang on... :unsure:

<queue Jeopardy theme>

Ok, yeah - I just went out and felt around the boot on my car and that's what I did. I used the smallest screw type hose clamp that would fit to replace the original one.
Works fine, apparently (y)

I think at first I tried to press that pin out, but I only have a 12ton press and it wasn't able to even budge it.

Bear

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sir!

I’ll dig into it and share my findings and approach.

Take care

1 - 3 of 3 Posts