Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1968 GTO Ram Air ii

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Duff 
#1 ·
Hey everybody. New here to the forum because of a GTO I found while on vacation in the midwest. Its a 1968 GTO ram air ii. All matching numbers but the rear axle assembly (which is from a chevelle). There is definitely rust and everything needs rebuild. Any thoughts on this find and what the value might be? I appreciate any replies. Thanks!

#14 ·
Searched around on-line and found one reference to Ram Air II -- "By mid-year 1968, a new option called the Ram Air II would debut, with newly designed high flow "round port" (on the exhaust side) cylinder heads."
Appears as if it is possible that this engine is rare.
had a ram air 11 gto in 1976.it was docile around town untill you put your foot down. stone stock.it did a 12.54 at the track.got 8 mpg no matter how you drove it. suprised a lot of vettes and cameros at the time.

#4 ·
Missed out on one 20 years ago for $3500. Crystal Tuqoise/white vinyl top, white interior. Slot mags and jacked up. No rust, but needing a restoration. Passed because I was in the middle of buying a house. Ram air II is the first round port engine/car, and is very rare and valuable. And a very good performer, too. Ram air II cars are worth probably 3 times what a garden variety GTO is worth. Approaching or equalling Judge value.

#5 ·
I believe 199 examples were built in both convertible and hardtop forms. There is a Black on gold ragtop that was found in a barn in upstate NY that was all original, was purchased for approximately 10k, the new owner ran the numbers, and it is a matching numbers 4 speed ram air two car. I have heard he was offered 500k, but remember, thi sis a survivor car featured in magazines.

To Me the 68 Ram Air 2 is the holy Grail of 68's. I have never seen one, and have only to date seen ram air two firebirds.

I would snap that up if you are financially able to.

Good luck and welcome!!!

Anthony :rofl:

PS if it is Nightshade green it is worth twice the dough!

#6 ·
The book says: Released in June 1968, Ram Air II, head casting (exhaust center port) 96 with an "R" on the front port and "A" on the end port. Block code WY, manual trans, total production -199. Block code XW, automatic trans, total production -47.

Additional checks -Q-jet carb #7028273 -manual trans, #7028270 -automatic trans.

#9 ·
I can get it for 6k range. I will need to run the numbers first, and the rear axle assembly out of a chevelle worries me a bit. And seeing as how I live in CA and the car lives in the Midwest means I have to go through a third party to get the info I need doesn't help. Also need to make sure the whole car isn't rusted to the point of no return

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.