Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1968 Pontiac GTO, Tempest, all original, convertible, factory air conditioning, factory front disk brakes, looking to decide whether to restore or sell as is,,All numbers are matching, although I'm trying to fix a small engine leak. Any suggestions, what would be the best course of action?

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
GTO or Tempest? We would certainly need more information to make any kind of determination of your cars value or if it's even worth restoring.

Please be mindful of our Forum Rules if you decide to sell your car. We do have a minimum post requirement.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
OK, I vote for restore it and keep it. Paint it Verdoro green. The oil leak is probably a rear main seal. It can be fixed, but you will have to pull the engine. If it is not bad, just drive it for a while like it is. My two cents. Matt

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
If it's a Tempest, it isn't a GTO. Not in '68. Which is it? If you want to sell it, sell it as-is. The cost of restoration is rarely recovered on a resale.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
OK, I vote for restore it and keep it. Paint it Verdoro green. The oil leak is probably a rear main seal. It can be fixed, but you will have to pull the engine. If it is not bad, just drive it for a while like it is. My two cents. Matt
When I bought my GTO it had a slight oil leak and I assumed it was coming from the rear main and this was also the opinion of 2 mechanics.
I re torqued the bolts on the oil pan and now the car doesn't leak a drop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts