Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 GTO with out A/C. Can I use the lap vents housing that attaches under the dash with an after market A/C system. I believe I would have to fabricate connections in the system. I just want to confirm I can install the lap vents housing on a non factory A/C vehicle.

Thanks,

Joe

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Maybe.... My 69 was a factory air car and I replaced it with an aftermarket system. I chose not to re-install the lap vents. On the aftermarket system I used, all the air exits the unit from one "cluster" where several flex hoses connect and carry the air to the various registers. My system has 4 such exit ports. I used one each for the passenger and driver side dash registers and one for the center dash register. That would have left just one for all of the lap vents. Rather than try to rig up some arrangement to feed the lap vents from just one flex hose, I decided to just leave it out. Without those vents in place I've got better access to the underside of the dash if I need it, and the system cools just fine without them.

Bear

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bear,

Thanks again for the information. Since I have a non A/C car, I wanted to run the two side vents and use the two lap vents from an A/C car. If you don't mind, what after market A/c system are you using.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I'm using one from Classic Auto Air in Grapevine, TX. No one I know of makes a turn-key kit for a 69, including them. They worked with me and put me together sort of a hybrid Chevelle/generic kit that I was able to fit to my 69 and the factory controls and vents.

Bear

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I looked at Old Air too at first, but ultimately decided against them. I don't remember why now though... I think maybe it had to do with the size and shape of the dash unit but I'm not sure.

My 'Classic' system fits and I didn't have to "lose" my glove box as I understand you do with some. I do wish it blew 'harder', but it does cool reasonably well even on 100+ days here in Texas.

I did just spend some time looking through Old Air's web site and their catalog, and there are some attributes of the system I like - like the electronic control option (as opposed to slide cables) and the idea that it might move more air. Who knows - maybe I made the wrong choice?

Bear

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the information. A/C installation is low on my priority list, but I thought I would start watching for parts now, such as the lap vents. I also like the electronic controls on the old air systems.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Asking again, since another lap vent came available.

Will the lap vents fit from a 69 A/C car on a non A/C car? The goal being to use it with an after market system.

Thanks,

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Asking again, since another lap vent came available.

Will the lap vents fit from a 69 A/C car on a non A/C car? The goal being to use it with an after market system.
Been thinking about it, and I'm sure they'll "fit" --- meaning they'll bolt up below the dash. The problem you're going to have is connecting them to the air duct. All the aftermarket kits use some sort of round flex hose ducting, but the lap vents connected via (more or less) rectangular plastic duct work. If you're handy with bending up sheet metal or working with fiberglas you should be able to fab up adapters to let you connect the round hoses, but there'll definitely be some fab work required.

But hey, if it was easy anyone could do it, right?

Bear

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I used a Vintage Air kit....my car was a NON AC car....I added the stock dash vents, and am using the factory "lap coolers'......JOE, Check with Vintage Air, they MIGHT have a specific kit for the 69 GTO now.....:cheers

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a blue one, my dash is black. Has anyone had a good results painting/dying interior colors?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I'm not using Vintage, I went with a system from Classic Auto Air in Grapevine, Texas. I'm using my original factory a/c controls. Doing that meant reworking some of their wiring and stuff, but I made it work.

Bear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe.... My 69 was a factory air car and I replaced it with an aftermarket system. I chose not to re-install the lap vents. On the aftermarket system I used, all the air exits the unit from one "cluster" where several flex hoses connect and carry the air to the various registers. My system has 4 such exit ports. I used one each for the passenger and driver side dash registers and one for the center dash register. That would have left just one for all of the lap vents. Rather than try to rig up some arrangement to feed the lap vents from just one flex hose, I decided to just leave it out. Without those vents in place I've got better access to the underside of the dash if I need it, and the system cools just fine without them.

Bear
I'm thinking of going the same route as you and was wondering how you connected the AC to the dash registers. Mine is a non-AC car so I don't have a center dash register and looking for any insight on how to do this.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
The factory dash registers had ducting behind the dash with joints that were very close to the outlets and that fit over/mated with the rest of the ducting behind the dash. One of these joints was square/rectangular and the other one was round. I just happened to have another one of those register ducts lying around that came off another dash I had. I replaced the square one with that one, giving me two short ducts behind the registers both with round joints that just happened to be very close to the size of the flex hose that came with my new a/c system, so what I did was to insert the flex hose into those ducts on each side, then seal them up with wide metallic aluminum tape.
It just so happens that I have my dash partially open right now to facilitate repairs after the fire, so I snapped a couple photos for you to show what I'm talking about.

Bear

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info. I would like to install an electric a/c panel control, but don't want it to look tacky. I'm looking at both vintage air and old air products because I want the electronic control and don't believe classic auto air offers that feature. Unfortunately, none of the above companies offer a kit for a 69 GTO.

Good luck with the repairs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks BearGFR. That's what I was thinking of doing but wanted to keep the fresh air option. I think I'll be doing something similar but bring the a/c duct into the side of the factory duct and seal it up with the metal duct tape.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Dang, I wish I'd thought of trying that... :shutme
That's a great idea.
I'm not sure it's going to be possible though because on my car, the factory ducting that goes behind the dash would most likely prevent being able to install the aftermarket unit, at least that's what I'm telling myself right now in order to feel better about not having the idea myself :D
Let me know how it goes, ok?

Bear

1 - 20 of 27 Posts