Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1971 455 with 1971 400 “96” heads. The previous engine in the car was a 1973 400 engine. To use the alternator and power steering pump, which I’m assuming are from a 1973 including water pump. Do I need 71 or 73 mounting brackets? I have 69 brackets on hand.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Super Moderator
5,789 Posts
Assuming the heads have all the bolt holes on their fronts for mounting accessory brackets...

You should be able to use whatever you like: 71, 73, or 69. What matters is not trying to mix and match components from different years. For example, if you use 69, then use 69 "everything" --- brackets, all the pulleys, acessories, etc.

Bear

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Keep in mind the brackets may have changed mid year 69, so the mid year 69 thru 73 and maybe newer should use the same brackets.

In early 69 pontiac used a 4" water pump and changed to 4.5" mid year.

·
Super Moderator
5,789 Posts
In early 69 pontiac used a 4" water pump and changed to 4.5" mid year.
Yep they sure did, but the brackets didn't change when they did that. What did change was they went to a "deeper " water pump pulley to maintain all the alignments.

Bear

·
Super Moderator
5,789 Posts
Yep, that would be 9799127 without a/c, 9799130 with a/c.

Why do I know? because I went though -all- of this with my 69. It was originally an early production short pump snout car, I replaced it with a long snout aftermarket high flow pump, and as if that wasn't enough grief - I also went to an SFI-rated balancer that wouldn't allow the original a/c compressor drive crank pulley to fit. Oh... I had -lots- of fun :willy:

Bear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts